Watermelons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watermelons

Am growing watermelons this year but they look a bit pathetic.Anyone else growing them and how they getting on?
    The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

What sort you growing Cloud, I have Small Shining Light and Blacktail Mountain, I dont think this weather is helping much they are not moving much although I have flowers on one of them although it is not much more than 6-8 inches long, I just keep watering and feeding hoping something will happen.

Comment

Mine are pretty small too.

Comment

Blacktail Mountain and they look pathetic!
        The greatness comes not when things go always good for you,but the greatness comes when you are really tested,when you take,some knocks,some disappointments;because only if youv'e been in the deepest valley can you ever know how magnificent it is to be on the highest mountain.

Comment

Mind you my squash and pumpkins are not moving very much either.

Comment

I'm growing them for the first time this year, and am growing an italian variety. mine are very small plants at the moment, but look like they're ready and raring to go, once I get around to potting them on, amongst the many other things I have to do!! Do I have to take out any side shoots or anything, or can I just leave them to grow??

Many thanks,

Jennifer
            Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

I have two types of melon growing and one is growing fine with flowers the other 'yellow' melon ain't growing at all.
              Pumpkins and cukes aren't doing much outdoors either!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                I have two types of melon growing and one is growing fine with flowers the other 'yellow' melon ain't growing at all.
                Pumpkins and cukes aren't doing much outdoors either!
                Yeah agree there my pumpkins squashes ect are making hard work of it!

Comment

Do watermelons actually grow in water, or do they just get their name from the high water content within the fruit. The reason for asking is that I have some seed and am looking to have a go next year.

Ian

Comment

I thik that it is the water content as I have seen fields of them in the USA.

Found out why mine look so pathetic,a BIG BLACK CAT HAS BEEN USING IT AS A BED!!!

Comment

I take it you are all growing them outside? I intend to grow some next year in my tunnel,not sure what variety though,sweetheart is supposed to be the easiest to grow,alledgedly.I did grow one in the 80's in a greenhose,but was about the size of a tennis ball,bit dissapointing.

Comment

I'm thinking of growing mine in the greenhouse, as it's an italian variety and likes loads of sun. If there's not a lot of space however, it's the cold 'real' world for my watermelons!!!

Jennifer
                        Whilst typing the above reply, I was probably supposed to be doing homework. My excuse: I'm hooked!

Comment

Mine have started to move at last, some have doubled in size since last weeks, they are getting plenty of water and a little feed.

Burnie if you have a look at the Plants of Distinction site you will find watermelons that are suitable for growing in our climate, they even have one that grows in Russia.

Comment

I'm growing Sugar Baby (I think, or something like that) in the greenhouse and it was growing brilliantly for a couple of weeks and has now gone down with Powdery Mildew, the plants has gone yellow and my one watermelon (which was the size of a large grapefruit) has now stopped growing. I've sprayed it with organic spray, but am not sure it can be saved...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X