Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving fruit trees

Hi

We have 2 apples, a cherry, a greengage & Vic plum that are in pots, about 5 - 6 ft tall & no fruit on any of the trees. I would like to transplant them into our new garden. What size holes should I dig & is it a good time to move them? To be honest, I think they've been in pots for too long (about 3 years) & need some space and new soil!!!

Thanx Saffer
    Good food ends with good talk - G.Neighor 1993

hi saffer,ive got lots of fruit trees and have been given some very poorly ones from time to time.I am no expert though.I have found that digging up trees at this time of year kills them.But you say that they are in pots.i personally would dig a hole,remove them from the pot with all the soil around them.pop them in to the same level .Water them in with lots of water .There are people on here who are real experts and im sure they will soon give you advice on the feeding of them as it sounds like they could do with some. what ever you do ,all the best with it.

Comment

I'd wait until autumn or next spring to transplant, at least when there are no leaves on the tree and the sap is not rising. But you may be OK if they are in pots, but it may not be worth the risk.

Dig a big hole and put in plenty of compost underneath the root ball and water well.
      Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Many thanx for the replies - I have dug some large holes, filled them with well rotted compost & will leave to stand for a few weeks. This is a bit of a catch 22, maybe I'll should wait for a while before putting them in the ground. A good feed with a general fertiliser while they are still in their pots should perk them up?
        Good food ends with good talk - G.Neighor 1993

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X