Young, small fruit all falling off?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young, small fruit all falling off?

Have a young plum tree in the garden, got two plums off it last year so thought I'd get a fair few this year.

There were about four growing, only got to about an inch and a half long then they all just fell off

Also got some mini-dwarf fruit trees (4 in total all in pots), the two apples ones flowered, there was one small apple growing and that whilst still very small also fell off

There's also a cherry tree in close proximity which seems to be fruiting fine so there is some hope but any ideas why this happened,? the apple in particular definitely wasn't victim to winds.
    Last edited by dan1979; 26-06-2008, 05:43 PM.

This is normal, it's called June drop.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

And lack of water, if you have a poor watering regime the trees will drop the fruit to preserve moisture, wind will dry out pots quicker than the sun, I have a fig in a pot but the pot is sunken into the ground to prevent the wind drying it out, pots really need watering in the morning as well as the evening.

Comment

I thought June drop related to excess fruit falling off? I now have no fruit/flowers at all...

The lack of watering could explain the apple as it's in a pot but the plum tree is well established in the ground and very close to the cherry tree which is fruiting well.

Comment

Lucky you i only have one plum on my tree, its still hanging in there:-) fingers crossed, we will have to cut it into three when its ripe LOL ive been watering 3 times a day as i just planted it 2 weeks ago, new house/garden so everything is newly planted. good luck dan

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X