Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daft raspberry question

Hi all,

I'm new here today. I've put 18 new canes in the ground earlier this year and have today made a fruit cage with 4x4 uprights and put up half the netting which I had lying around. I just want to check if the netting will be suitable.

Do raspberries need to be pollinated by bees, butterflies etc, or do they self pollinate or pollinate by the wind? I have 3 summer fruiting varieties. Do I need to use specific netting sizes to ensure bees can get in but birds can't. Harrold Horticultural uses 16mm, the stuff I have is perhaps 10mm. I think pollination has happened for this year as there are fruit forming, but I just want to check for next year before I invest in more netting.

Thanks for your help.

Highland Hillbilly
    Last edited by Highland Hillbilly; 09-07-2008, 05:48 PM. Reason: I managed to spell pollinate 3 different ways - clever uh?

Raspberries are self-fertile.
    Your netting needs to keep birds out, but make sure you secure the net so that birds don't get trapped in it ... no gaps, and no loose bits to tangle up little legs & feet.

* I have never netted my raspberries ... the birds seem to prefer my blackcurrants
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Two Sheds. I wasn't sure, only started growing fruit and veggies this year so I'm a bit of a novice. I'll get more of the same netting then, as it's half the price of buying the real mccoy.

Cheers
      Highland Hillbilly

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X