How to net currants and gooseberry bushes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to net currants and gooseberry bushes

How do you net your currant and gooseberry bushes? I either seem to inadvertently trap a bird or have the netting too tight so it rips the leaves or fruit off when I lift the netting to harvest. I need a better system!

Well, a cage is the most reliable system. It also requires more money, though, and more time to build.
    To help prevent trapping birds, make sure the net reaches the ground, and weigh it down with stones or logs all the way around the bush. Can't say I really know what to suggest for your other problem. To be honest, I never net any of my fruit. The birds around here only take cherries, redcurrants and strawberries, and until this year I didn't grow any of those. I will be this year, though, so I guess I'd better do something.

Comment

I found fine net curtains were better than netting.
      The leaves can't grow through it nor can the birds easily peck through it.
      I have on several occasions found birds caught up by their legs in netting so I stopped using it for that very reason.
      apparently hedgehogs and other wildlife can get caught up in the mesh too so it's fine net curtains from IKEA (very cheap to buy -when you can!) for me every time!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Oh -forgot to mention that I've heard strings of red Xmas beads (did I just mention Xmas?????!!!!!) looped in the bushes can put the birds off as when they peck them they realise they aren't edible.
        I bought a long string of them last year so I'll be trying them this year!
        cant tell unless you give things a try eh?
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X