Pruning vine

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pruning vine

My vine had it's first year under plastic after the recovering of the polytunnel. It has spread it's tentacles the full 26' of the tunnel. My understanding is that to be fruitful they need aggressive pruning am I right?

I prune mine to the long rod system. That means one two or three vine rods are left to go as long as they want, but any side spurs coming off them are pruned back to one or two buds when the vine is dormant.

Comment

One of mine used to grow up the back of the greenhouse and then a rod down each side, however last year I chopped one side (south facing) off as it gave too much shade to the plants below in summer and I had to struggle to get through the door despite constant Summer pruning of the green stems. Now in Winter it just looks like a stick going up and along one side. It gives lots of grapes even though I do restrict the amount of bunches.

Comment

The most important thing to remember is that grapes are born from the buds which were produced in the previous year.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Deltawhiskey View Post
          The most important thing to remember is that grapes are born from the buds which were produced in the previous year.

David
          But they're produced on the current year's growth, though?
          Even if all of the shoots growing from the previous year's shoots are killed (which happened to me last year thanks to a late frost), they will push new shoots from dormant, subcutaneous buds, and these, too, will have flowers on them.

Comment

I give my vine a hard pruning every year,grapes grow on the new wood that hasn’t grown yet.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X