Fruit Yields

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fruit Yields

Could anyone tell me how much fruit to expect from a bush as I am trying to plan how many of the following bushes I want / need?

Gooseberry

Blackcurrant

Blueberry

Thanks

It depends on the variety, soil, disease aspect etc. I think the next bet is to Google the various types and this should give you an idea of whether something has a good yield etc.

A good one for gooseberries is Rougham Hall Nurseries - Perennials of Distinction

I''ve got for 3 gooseberry bushes, but not a blackcurrant (find i didn't use the fruit) nor blueberies as i find them a bit tasteless. instead I've got a thornless blackberry thats got huge over the years.

If you're not despertae for large quantities of fruit in the 1st year, you might be better off going for a lesser number of bushes and taking cuttings in subsequent years if you want more fruit. It would also be cheaper.

Comment

As McBee says, it depends on so many variables.
      I had 2 gooseberries and 2 redcurrants ... never got any fruit off them (pests).
      I have 2 big blackcurrants ... 2007 got lots of fruit, in 2008 the blackbirds robbed the lot while I was on holiday.

My blackberry has never produced edible fruits, and my raspberries always get raspberry beetle.

I get loads of strawberries - more than I want to eat, really.

I get a dozen big apples off my 4 ft tall apple tree each year.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It is a bit of string question, however from my experience:
        Last year 3 goosegogs gave about 6lb of fruit
        3 blackcurrants and 2 redcurrants made about a dozen pots of jam.
        I dont grow blueberry for same reason as Mcbee.
        I have pulled up my currant bushes as I just dont really eat them, rasps are only in their second season so wouldnt like to comment on those.
        Strawbs a plenty.
        Bob Leponge
        Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

As said above, it's very difficult to predict the yield each year.
          Pests, weather conditions, soil fertility, availability of water and many other factors will play a part.
          Most of the fruit bushes, such as gooseberries and blackcurrants, can easily be multiplied up into new plants, by taking cuttings in autumn.
          Some people claim to have done it with blueberries, but others seem less succesful with blueberry cuttings. I'm going to try taking cuttings from my blueberries next year to see how easy (or difficult).

Comment

This year was exceptional for soft fruit up here, but the previous year was decidedly average, so it is highly variable - even before taking into account possible losses through pests and diseases.
            Cutting are a good and fairly simple way of propogating currant bushes (I have 111 balckcurrant cuttings in my tunnel at the moment).
            Gooseberries can be propogated either by cuttings or by staking a low branch to the ground. This branch will root where it touches the soil and after it has formed a healthy root system, it can be cut free from the parent plant and is ready to go.
            Strawberries can be propogated from runners - I bought 60 plants last year, with the sole intention of taking runners and not fruit, and these 60 plants yielded some 280 healthy plants between them - could have had more but I just had to let some of the plants fruit - get hungry working in the tunnel all day
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'd agree it's a difficult question to answer! For my family (4) I find 3-5 of each type of bush fine. This makes enough jam to last the year - that's all I use them for, plus we give away jars for christmas etc. Excluding blueberries - don't grow these as they seem a bit pointless!

Comment

try looking up at Blackmore however dont expect much or even anything the 1st year as the plant will concentrate on growing, net you fruit or the birds will eat your harvest before you gat the chance, you need at least 2 of each bush or varieties that will pollinate each other of the same fruit to acheive good pollination to set fruit, i personaly usually work in 4s i have 4 gooseberry, 4 blueberry, 4 black current and i have them in a square about 4-6 feet apart.

Comment

This will help you to decide (amazon or library):

All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X