Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marks on our apples

Hello,

We're in the second season of having our Apple tree in the garden (Red Falstaff) and we've noticed a lot of these marks on our apples this year. We don't know if it's due to the heat we've been having, insect damage or possibly scabs.

Anyone able to advise us?

Many Thanks,

EllieW

Welcome Ellie, can you us a bit more information, you might not be able to post a picture yet as the forum has a filter that requires new members to have a dozen or so posts. Are these marks raised or indented into the fruit skin? What colour are the marks will give us a start.

Comment

Hi Ellie,

Hopefully, after you've posted a few more times, you can add some photos to this thread. It's almost impossible to diagnose what the issue is without seeing what the fruit looks like.

Cheers

Nick

Comment

You are lucky to get any apples at all this year.
        I only got one on my tree this year due to frost.
        A photo once you have done a few posts will help a lot.
        Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Oh, my bad! I didn't realise I wasn't able to post photos yet!

Here is a link which will hopefully work so you can have a look: https://photos.app.goo.gl/FVHBan8XR5po4AXd8

Thanks,

Ellie

Comment

Nothing to worry about in terms of the fruit - growing without sprays means that you do get a few marks + the odd bird peck etc.

The leaves do look a bit yellow though, so maybe you need to put some fertiliser around the roots and/or give the tree a foliar feed.
            Last edited by nickdub; 24-07-2021, 01:23 PM.

Comment

When ready to pick I would peel one of the apples,if there’s a brown area it could be a fruit worm. If there’s no brown on any of the flesh it’s not that,they like a high potassium feed around now for the fruits,have they had any fertiliser this year?

Comment

Those lumps are usually caused by capsid bug.
                They are small insects which suck the sap from leaves and fruit, but where they inject their proboscis they also inject compounds which cause distorted growth.
                The lumpy apples are still edible (lumps and all, although you can removed them if you like), and should keep fine, too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X