Weather causing unusual growth cycle

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weather causing unusual growth cycle

Just wondering if the recent changes in weather have sent people's fruit trees/bushes in to a strange growth cycle?
    I have a gage which was planted spring this year and exhibited no new growth but has started putting out new branches in the past two weeks and I noticed this morning that my honeyberries have set flowers in the past few days.
    There's a Meyers lemon tree also which has taken off in new growth.

It is not unusual for unusual weather to trigger growth at a different time of year for many plants - if that makes any sense.

Of course if the trigger for the unusual weather becoming more usual is in fact man made climate change, then we are in for predictably unpredictable weather becoming more common.

Sometimes the English language does not seem up to the task of describing what we are experiencing :-(

Comment

Late flowering is unusual and can be a sign of funny weather patterns (my pear produced a small flush of late flowers this year).

Late growth, however, is fairly common. Citrus trees usually have two flushes of growth in my experience, one in the early spring and another starting around August.
      As for your gage, that's actually fairly normal for a newly planted tree, especially if it was bare root and had some trouble establishing (either because it didn't have much root when it was planted, or because it didn't get enough water during dry spells). The tree won't put on any new branches until it has grown out its roots a bit more. Happened with my new sour cherry last year, too (it was a B&Q bare root plant, so the roots were less than ideal. Didn't start growing any new shoots until late July).

Comment

I'm interested to see whether there is enough left in the summer months to actually ripen the recently set fruit. Or would I be as well to remove them to ensure it flowers in April?

The gage tree was actually a pot grown version with a pretty good root system. It just got transplanted from the 10L pot it came in to something a bit bigger.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X