Recommendations wanted on type of vine support

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations wanted on type of vine support

We've bought four vines for table grapes, three bare root and one in a pot. It seems a lot of vines, but we have more than enough land and the harvests come at different times. I'm looking for advice on how to support them.

They will be planted in a row running east to west in a field in a valley where the wind usually blows west to east. They will get lots of morning sun on the south side and evening sun the other. Wine grapes do OK in this valley but are unsupported.

Mr Snoop is keen to allow access for tractors on the north and south sides of the row and suggests that the vines could be supported individually to allow for tractor access in between them as well. I'm not sure that's feasible, as the supported vines I've seen are grown along wires.

Any views on recommended supports? Wires, trellises, no support at all? All advice welcomed.

I've seen lots of vines on wires where the vines all run into each other to make like a hedge but I think the prettiest method is to train them up the corners of an arbor or pergola so that the grapes hang down above head height but the sides are open, easy access. There is a long "tunnel" like this in one of our local parks. I've just googled grape arbor and there are some photos that make me really want one, not sensible up North though. This might not be practical in a field but googling grape arbor might give you some ideas.

Comment

^Thanks. I've looked at arbours and pergolas, but not sure they're the most sensible option for us down in the field, as you say. If I were looking for shade up by the house, yes.

I have no idea how grapes would do up north. My parents had a grapevine in Bristol up against a wall and they had more than enough grapes to share with the local blackbirds. Given that grapes grow in Alsace, you might find one that would suit you well.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
        ^Thanks. I've looked at arbours and pergolas, but not sure they're the most sensible option for us down in the field, as you say. If I were looking for shade up by the house, yes.

I have no idea how grapes would do up north. My parents had a grapevine in Bristol up against a wall and they had more than enough grapes to share with the local blackbirds. Given that grapes grow in Alsace, you might find one that would suit you well.
        I do actually have two vines (Black Hamburg) in two seperate greenhouses and most years I have enough grapes to share them with family. I have even won prizes with them at local shows. Outdoors here the vines grow but large sweet grapes don't ripen. I do believe that in Roman times some were grown near here for wine, but it became too cold in the dark ages.

I just unrealistically imagine myself sitting under an arbor festooned with big bunches of grapes. I'll have to settle for a deckchair in the greenhouse.

Comment

I think you really need to know what you are doing to grow grapes successfully outside - as you say, they are normally trained along wires for support.

Just in case others read this thread, I've found that growing a vine in a poly-tunnel is fairly easy, and you can get good crops.

Comment

Outdoors won't be a problem here, nickdub. But thanks for confirming wire support.

Comment

There are places where vines are grown without support. The most popular method is goblet pruning where the vine is pruned as a goblet shaped bush. If you Google Goblet Pruning there will be plenty of information on this method. Spaced widely you will be able to use a tractor around each vine.

Delta

Comment

Thanks, Deltawhiskey. Grapes for wine are grown freestanding round here, though newly-planted vines tend to be supported by wires to make picking by tractor easier. We could go freestyle, I suppose. They're not sprouting yet and we still haven't put any supports in, but need to make our minds up soon.

Comment

Wood supports need replacing after so many years eventually rotting but this metal support in the video looks good like it will last,wires bend & move attached to wood,these squares look a more solid structure. If they're left unsupported will they be strong enough to stand on a windy day?
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh1XHWE-xfs

Comment

Thanks, Jungle Jane. That does look good. The unsupported wine grape vines round here do OK. But a metal support with wires would be better. We do have lots of rebar and some wire mesh fencing like she uses. Interesting. I shall get Mr Snoop to watch the video. Thanks.

Comment

Looks long lasting,I wouldn’t weave the vine through like that though,it can just be attached without all the bending

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X