Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

where shall I buy bare root fruit trees?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I am trying to focus on 2 year bushes and unusual variety at the moment, could end up with anything really, lol

Comment

Make sure that you choose varieties that are well-suited to your area.
      Old, local varieties are often a good choice because they will have tolerance to some or all of the diseases or climate prevalent in your area.
      You may also need to consider pollination partners for your potential fruit trees.

Last edited by FB.; 10-12-2008, 09:25 PM. Reason: additional comment

Comment

from Victoriana Nursery Gardens there are some asain pair trees, does anyone grow them? do they do well in uk?

Comment

RV Rogers is quite near me and a family run business. I haven't bought fruit tree's from there but their seed onions and garlic are great. I have had a good look round the nursery tho and its very well layed out to the benefit of the plants growing. I think thats what impressed me most the fact that they cared about how the plants were grown, that and the old fella I spoke to really knew his stuff. All their trees are field grown until autumn in fact they won't sell you anything before then, fruit tree wise.

The only thing against it is its so far away from where you are so your paying delivery charges as well.
          Also will something that has grown in yorkshire do well where you are ??

Yes, I agree with the others about JParkers. Their discount flower bulbs are good value tho.
          Izi.

Comment

Izi

It shouldn't matter much where the trees are grown, so long as people choose the varieties that are best suited to the area where they live.
            For example, I would have no grumbles about planting a "Discovery" apple (a variety that does well in Cambs/Suffolk) in my garden, regardless of whether it had been grown in Scotland, Yorkshire, Norfolk or Hampshire.
            If anything, I would expect Northern-grown trees of any particular variety to be hardier (although perhaps smaller) than those grown in the South of the UK.
            It might take the plant a season to adjust to it's new home.

Comment

Glad I saw this thread and read it when I did! I was about to order from Parkers. I changed my order to be from Deacons (partly because my husband is from Godshill, and my mother-in-law knows the brothers who run it :-) but mainly because they were consistently recommended here. Thanks, everyone.

Comment

Gordon Rigg nurseries, Kingsway, rochdale, cheap fruit bushes and trees, delightful place to visit, Junction 21 off of m62
                Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Ken Muir is really good. They give (and honour) a guarantee - i think it's 12 months for trees and 6 months for strawberry plants. I've had lots of stuff from them - not cheap but you only get what you pay for. A friend bought an "apple" tree from cheap supermarket and its could be anything! The pear tree died and another apple was a completely different variety from the label.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    I've had a few problems with Parkers and haven't been very impressed with the quality of what they've send out in the past. I may have just been unlucky so would be interested to hear what other people think.

I agree. I got some plants from Parkers a few years ago and have vowed never to buy from them again (even though they are cheaper). I asked for my money back (fifty pounds) and complained. I got a ten pound refund, as the plants were of poor condition and some of them even died during their first year (with looking after).

Comment

Originally posted by Adrastea View Post
                      I agree. I got some plants from Parkers a few years ago and have vowed never to buy from them again (even though they are cheaper). I asked for my money back (fifty pounds) and complained. I got a ten pound refund, as the plants were of poor condition and some of them even died during their first year (with looking after).
                      I had the same problem with them, they sent dead plants and the blueberry bush was mis advertised, arrived in a 9 in pot. When I complained they offered me a voucher, no refund. I would not recommend them,
                      Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Personal experience only [obviously]

But I have found:

Ian Rogers of RV Rogers exceptionally helpful with a query I had - offered some great advise so I recently placed an order with him - cannot say what the outcome is yet but I was impressed.

Also impressive is Neil Evans of Eastwood Garden Centre, who replaced an order that Marshalls let me down on [and more cheaply as it turns out]. He gave sensible advise as well.

Marshalls are a parsons egg - that which arrived was wonderful quality. That they could not supply within the expected timescale was handled rather oddly/ineptly by their somewhat untrained customer services people.

RHS in Wisley - I go there personally. Very expensive, fantastic quality, choice & advice. Their plant guarantee is really up to scratch, not that I have ever had to use it as their stuff grows well.

Ashridge trees - umm, not sure really. Rather odd website which I failed to read clearly [and I felt they were rather rude to me when I questioned them on this]. Also the grafting joints/pruning on their cordon trees look messy to me, in comparison to those from other suppliers. Perhaps I am being fussy?

Comment

I bought from Victoriana Nursery and they were really good the quality of trees were brill. I've also bought from Reads nursery who were very good again.

Comment

Also, keep an eye on Aldi and Lidl. I've had fruit trees and bushes from both and they have always been ok. Also had 5 different lavenders from Aldi and all are growing well.

Mikey

Comment

Last year, I saw some in Tesco for about £5 (I think). This year, I have seen some in Homebase for about £10 (I think). Unfortunately, both places did not list the rootstock - and rootstock can make quite a difference to growth rate/size, aftercare and soil requirements.

Simpson's of Fordham (near Newmarket) are my generally preferred place, since they're less than half-hour away. I much prefer to be able to choose the tree.
                              I had a mooch around Simpson's a few days ago and they seem to currently be reorganising their fruit trees and appear to have new, well-grown, container-grown stock just coming up for sale for about £10-15, depending on variety and rootstock.

Rather than bare-rooted, I prefer container-grown trees, but I knock much of the compost off the rootball and spread the loose roots into a large planting hole. It means that the tree has a full set of roots when planted (rather than the shock from loss of half the roots on bare-root trees).

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X