No flowers on gooseberry.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No flowers on gooseberry.

This last couple of years I have noticed a decrease in flowers and fruit on my now rampant gooseberry bushes. The growth is lush and healthy, with many new shoots already grown but no flowers or sign of early fruit pods. Shall I cut it all right back as I may as well make the space available for bedding plants?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20240428_143042_edit_1143093295809427.jpg Views:	1 Size:	993.7 KB ID:	2578330
    ​​​​
    Last edited by Marb67; 28-04-2024, 01:36 PM.

That looks really healthy, Marb. I think I would hesitate to cut it back when it looks so good, especially as the scent of the gooseberry will draw gooseberry sawfly to lay eggs, then you'll have caterpillars as the weather warms up. They can strip the leaves in a week. Get some sulphate of potash and give the ground under it a good sprinkling. That will encourage plenty of flowers next year. I guess it's too late to hope for flowers this year. Someone else may have better advice though.
    Last edited by mothhawk; 28-04-2024, 03:09 PM.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

Yes, may be plenty of nitrogen and not enough potassium. Aquilegias look good though.(if that's what they are?)
      Last edited by Mark Rand; 28-04-2024, 08:46 PM.
      Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

^^^ yup, my thoughts too
        N:P:K = Leaf : Roots : Flower/Fruit

What have you been feeding/ watering it with?
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Hi Marb67

Definitely don't cut it back if you want fruit. Gooseberries don't fruit on new growth - they fruit on 2-3 year old stems.

The plants look really healthy to me but looks like you've given it a good prune so most of the growth is new?

I'd expect brown edges on the leaves if there were a potassium issue but a handful of blood, fish & bone or some tomato feed wouldn't do any harm.
          Last edited by Andraste; 29-04-2024, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I have given them wood ash and bfb and some general veg/plant fertiliser. I'll leave pruning it then thanks.

Comment

Cut part of it back so that it produces some long sapwood shoots as these will produce fruit next year.
              If you prune in winter the wood can be thrown into the ground like spears. They will root and produce new plants so that the old one can eventually be pulled up.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                Cut part of it back so that it produces some long sapwood shoots as these will produce fruit next year.
                If you prune in winter the wood can be thrown into the ground like spears. They will root and produce new plants so that the old one can eventually be pulled up.
                The sappy new shoots have already grown this year. I think I pruned it a bit in Jan.

Comment

If you didn't cut it right back hard then there might be some flowers lurking under all the lovely new growth. Feb is about the right time for pruning gooseberries in my neck of the woods (but we're always a few weeks behind everyone else). There's a 'growing guides' for gooseberries in the links at the top of the website which is quite decent if that might be of interests

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X