Apple tree spacing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple tree spacing

Looking ahead I am thinking an orchard will give a harvest into my dotage without too much effort (comparative). How far apart should my trees be? I recall my grandfather had three apple trees each about twelve feet apart and 20' tall. I am looking to keep them about ten feet. Mix of apples, pears and cherries.

Thanks in advance,

Eoghan

Depends entirely on what rootstock you have them on, and thus what their final size will be.
    On M26 or smaller, you could get away with 6 or 7 foot spacing quite easily, especially if you stagger them.

Comment

What about planting them. Would you break up the root ball a little? What about adding compost?

Comment

If you are buying them bare root then the root ball doesn't need any further breaking up. It won't even have a root ball, per se, anyway, just a collection of loose roots.

I usually do add some compost to the planting holes, but I don't think it's really necessary unless your soil is quite poor. Always mix the compost with some of the soil in the bottom of the planting hole, though. Don't just have a layer of pure compost.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X