Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-folding pruning saws

hi

i have some heavy pruning of unkempt plum, apple and pear trees to do (boughs up to about 80-100mm thick) and my trusty bow saw is too unwieldy, so I am contemplating investing in a decent pruning saw. I don't like folding tools (however well-made they are, the hinge part always breaks in my tender care). So I was wondering if anyone here has tried any of the examples on the RHS website?

Alternatively, does anyone have any other recommendations than the RHS ones?

To be honest, with 100mm thick boughs to cut I'd use the 36" metal bow saw. I use the 12" metal bow saw for smaller stuff. The 12" Wilkinson Sword pruning saw only gets used for crowded bits that are too large for secateurs because it cuts far better on the pull stroke than the push stroke.

I've had the pruning saw for 20 years, but I don't know how long my dad had it before me. The bow saws I've had for almost 40 years...
    Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

I appreciate that, but it's the bits where it's hard to get the saw in that I'm thinking about now. I've only had my bow saw for about 25 years, so I'm a bit of a newbie

Comment

There's nothing* wrong with trimming the smaller stuff away until you can get at the bigger bits.

*Except when it's the smaller bits that you hope to retain.
        Last edited by Mark Rand; 29-06-2024, 08:48 PM.
        Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Yes, but that's not what I will be doing. There are multiple thick crossing boughs of which I want to select one - thus is the case on several trees.

Comment

While this is all very interesting, and I do appreciate that you've taken the time to answer, I'm actually more interested in a direct answer to my original question...

Comment

I use a cheap plasterboard saw from one of the big DIY sheds.
              It has a single thickish rigid blade with teeth on both edges and is not folding.
              It was cheap enough that you would chuck it away and buy another if it gets blunt.
              Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

MrPots recommends the Silky Gomtaro Saw they're pricy though.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by ChingfordHarry View Post
                  I appreciate that, but it's the bits where it's hard to get the saw in that I'm thinking about now. I've only had my bow saw for about 25 years, so I'm a bit of a newbie
                  Have you tried taking the blade off in order to thread the saw handle through any gaps or around any branches, then refitting the blade once in position? You can even fit the blade back in with the teeth facing inwards to help cut stuff in awkward positions. I cut some pretty awkward branches on my old cherry tree that way; ones too thick to realistically cut with a pruning saw.

Comment

Okay, first off - I actually read a review on the "Gardener's World" website, not the RHS. Mea culpa...

Plot70: I use a cheap plasterboard saw from one of the big DIY sheds.

Got one of those and it does a good job mostly but I want something longer and with a better handle.

Ameno: Have you tried taking the blade off in order to thread the saw handle through any gaps or around any branches, then refitting the blade once in position?

Not yet, but that's certainly a good idea for occasional branches (used to do this with a coping saw in woodwork). Having to do it for the whole neglected orchard might be a bit of a pain.

Bren in Pots: Silky Gomtaro Saw

How much? How much!!? Blimey, I see what you mean about pricey. I found a discussion on an arboriculture website (https://www.arboristsite.com/threads...samurai.30940/) that speaks very highly of Silky, as do the discussions on arbtalk.co.uk. I even found a website that compared different "silky saws", which included a bunch of other makes as well as Silky, so it looks as if in some communities they're like a hoover. Before today, I'd never heard of them...

I am a big fan of buying decent tools once - looking in my toolbox I have some tools that I bought nearly 50 years ago that are still in better condition than some I see for sale today.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X