Apricot outside?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apricot outside?

Right...I did go searching & renewed an old post,but....no-one answered me!
    Andi got given an apricot tree for his birthday,has anyone got one that they've actually planted outside or is it best to keep in a pot so we can bring into greenhouse when in blossom?Was hoping we can put it outside & drape with some fleece if frost is expected.Anyone out there had success with planting out?Please!
    the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Originally posted by andi&di View Post
    Right...I did go searching & renewed an old post,but....no-one answered me!
    Andi got given an apricot tree for his birthday,has anyone got one that they've actually planted outside or is it best to keep in a pot so we can bring into greenhouse when in blossom?Was hoping we can put it outside & drape with some fleece if frost is expected.Anyone out there had success with planting out?Please!
    Hi Andy&Di
    I did grow two apricot trees from seeds few years ago and I did plant them in my allotment two years ago. Now they are about eight foot high and rather bushy. Compared to the other trees ( plums, pears, apples ) growing in the same allotment, the apricot trees still retain most of the foliage. I do expect my first crop this coming year. I leave them alone totally exposed to the elements and I shall see how they do perform. I will let you know
    regards
    Don Vincenzo

Comment

I grew one in a pot last year with a similar intention.....that was........ to bring it into the greenhouse during it's flowering period as the blossom is prone to frost damage.
      All went well untill I brought it indoors.........whence it promptly died on me!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I grow one in a sheltered position in my south facing garden. In 2006-7 and 07-08 winters I did not even fleece it. I think it was about 3 years old when I bought it and it is definitely grafted onto a root stock, but I don't know what, except it is not pixie. Based on weather forecasts this year it is fleeced and looks OK. But as this winter looks like a pig I won't know until next spring. I'll keep you informed if I can find this thread in 5 months time. LOL.
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Forgot to add I've got a peach in similar circumstances. Now that one I am silently praying for.
          Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
          >
          >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Cheers all.So I think from that we'll try growing it planted outside.As far as the fleece thing....from what I can make out,you only need to cover it whilst it has blossom,not all winter??
            2nd question....Do you think now would be a really stupid time to try planting,or maybe wait til the spring?....Why can't Andi have an early autumn birthday!?
            Don...that's cool you've managed to get so far with seeds...my patience is nothing like!!
            Snadger...sorry to hear of your loss...was it just brought into greenhouse?
            &Sarraceniac.....my mate did ask me if he'd like a peach tree,but I'd heard they can be a bit trickier...I shall say a silent prayer also!!(but not impossible..& apparently fruit is absolutely divine when you get it!!)

Comment

Hi I have an apricot tree outside in north derbyshire ,it was bought as a miniature but is now about thirty feet high. In 2007 I put a hurricane lantern underneath it when it looked like being really cold and we had a massive crop. This year I didnt and we had no crop.

Comment

This doesnt really help I dont think but I have an apricot tree in my garden, was here when I moved in.
                First year we had plenty but over the last two years it has yielded less and less. If it doesnt sort itself out this year it will be firewood, and I shall plant another one in its place. But I will plant it outdoors, in my garden.
                Bob Leponge
                Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

Cheers Bob & Penny.Penny I don't quite understand about the hurricane lantern???....surely you didn't keep it burning forever???Just if a frost was forecast?
                  Bob...hopefully you'll get a bumper crop this year....We're gonna attempt putting it out in the ground & if a frost is forecast then cover it with fleece(maybe even light a hurricane lantern!)....Shall let you all know the results come harvest time!

Comment

I bought an apricot 'Isabelle' last year which is in a very large pot. It was supposed to have been bred for growing outdoors in this country, & able to survive very low temperatures.
                    We are in the south, the pot is up against a south facing wall, & the temperature here was never exceptionally low this winter. The tree is showing no signs of life whatsoever, although it does not actually seem to be dead.
                    Has anybody else got an 'Isabelle'?

Comment

I've got a Dwarf Apricot (Aprigold) in a pot, when it was blossoming I took it into my garage at night whenever the temp went to 4C or below. The blossom has pretty much all dropped off like the other trees around here, so hoping that I should get some crop ! I bought it in Feb, it's grown quite well since.

Comment

Oh yes - it's got really beautiful deep pink blossom too!

Comment

Mine survived the Winter with no problems, but the leaves have been frosted last night, so on with the fleece.

Comment

Hi, silly me I lit the hurricane lamp under the apricot tree on evenings when frost was forecast only after the tree blossomed so it was only about ten nights in all so no big expense on paraffin. Ive done it this year and the fruit seems to be still ok.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X