Plum moth

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plum moth

My President plum tree has fruited heavily for the first time but virtually every fruit has plum moth. What’s the best way to control this for the future? I have a couple of plum trees on my allotment which have also been quite badly affected this year.

I buy Andermatt Home & Garden Plum moth trap. make sure if you buy it, get the complete set which includes 2 pheromone capsules and sticky cards, after that you can purchase the refills by themselves. I usually buy two a season, some may use three.
    There are other varieties available, but having tried them this is my personal preference.
    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Do you find the pheromone traps give effective control? I’ve tried the ones for coddling moth on apples and found I caught lots of moths but didn’t see much decline in fruit infection rates.

Comment

I find they catch lots of the moths too. I always have a small amount of infestation, but its only on the very first plums to ripen, after that the rest of them are perfect.
        I have bought a codling moth trap for the first time this year but haven't picked any apples yet.
        Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
        Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

I certainly find coddling moth traps ineffective. I've used them the last two years, and they catch plenty of moths, but it doesn't seem to reduce apple infestation.

I had good results against plum moth the year I sprayed the tree (twice, about 3 weeks apart). I fear that may be the only effective method.

Comment

I understood that a coddling moth trap caught only male moths, and are used more as an indication of when to spray, rather than as a way to control the moth. It won't control females already fertilised elsewhere.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
              I understood that a coddling moth trap caught only male moths, and are used more as an indication of when to spray, rather than as a way to control the moth. It won't control females already fertilised elsewhere.
              Yes, that is correct. And it's the same with plum moth traps.
              More recently, you will read that both can supposedly help reduce (although not completely get rid of) infestation in mild to moderate cases due to catching enough males that the females are not fertilised. However I feel this may be more wishful thinking than anything actually evidence-based.

Comment

Has anyone tried nemotode treatment?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X