Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delaware Grape ?

First post so please go easy

I've just returned from Japan where my wife dissuaded me from smuggling home a Delaware grape vine - they are the most amazing grape variety - slip skin and super super sweet.

I have searched everywhere and the only place i could find sells the seeds on ebay - a US seller for circa £100 for 100 seeds which is extortionate.

Does anyone have any links or suggestions as to where I can buy this variety or a close substitute?

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the vine!

Delaware is not a variety I've come across, it seems indeed very hard to get hold of outside the US and Japan.

But as I'm also looking for grape options for the garden I was very intrigued by your question, and it looks like Delaware derives from fox grapes Vitis labrusca, and there is another similar sounding variety called Concord from the same family.

Concord appears to be slightly easier to get hold of here, although currently out of stock or "coming soon" at
    https://www.silktree.co.uk/grapevines.html or https://jurassicplants.co.uk/product...vine-dark-blue

Oh just found another supplier that has it in stock (though picture is probably not right as it should be blue): https://www.agroforestry.co.uk/produ...vitis-concord/

(Please note that I've not ordered from either of them, so don't know how good their plants are)

Comment

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for that. Yes I suspect that it'll be nigh on impossible to find Delaware and so I think unless anyone here knows, I will have to substitute concord

Delware are about twice the size of peas and these concord look considerably larger - so if they taste the same/similar it's a winner.

Comment

Hello and welcome, Newbie77.

A very interesting question. I've had a look too and can't spot Delaware. But I have a vague feeling I've seen Concord in a nursery near where I live in Spain. If they have it for this planting season, I'll give it a go. Sounds like a winner. Thanks for the recommendation.

Comment

Concord grapes are the traditional ones used in grape jelly across the Pond, as in "peanut butter and jelly sandwiches"

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            Hello and welcome, Newbie77.

A very interesting question. I've had a look too and can't spot Delaware. But I have a vague feeling I've seen Concord in a nursery near where I live in Spain. If they have it for this planting season, I'll give it a go. Sounds like a winner. Thanks for the recommendation.
            My pleasure. It was so good i was well up for smuggling the Delaware vine to the UK

Comment

Originally posted by ChingfordHarry View Post
              Concord grapes are the traditional ones used in grape jelly across the Pond, as in "peanut butter and jelly sandwiches"
              It's strange to describe but it reminds you of the intense grape flavour that you get in certain canned drinks like Fanta - it's so grapey you might think it's artificial

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X