Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb

Is it too late/or early to be thinking about Rhubarb?

Anyone know where the best place to get some rhubarb crowns online would be?

I've finally got round to considering growing it after 16 years!!!!

Diva

Edited to add: someone has passed me what I am told is a rhubarb crown. It has been out of the ground for 10 days though (something to do with however asked for it didn't pick it up). It's covered in soil. Can it still be planted?
    Last edited by Diva1983; 17-12-2008, 08:27 AM. Reason: Forgotten information

As long as it's not shrivelled to death then it should be alright. Give it plenty of well rotted manure.

Comment

I would plant it. It's got two choices
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Thank you for the advice guys-just been out and the crown looks very healthy. So after my driving lesson today I plan to get it planted out.

Comment

Dig a hole, put it in, treat it with some manure, it will (almost definately) grow.
          Bob Leponge
          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

i've looked online before, but have been put off buting that way because the postage is nearly as much as the plant!

My local wyvale had a good selection earlier in the autumn so i got a "Champagne" and "Gaskins Perpetual".

many years ago i grew some from seed, and providing you can wait its a good alternative.

Comment

Hi there Diva!! ..and welcome to the Vine!

I've left rhubarb for several months dug up and stuck in a bucket and not been able to kill it off

I think the problem could be planting it with the crown a bit too deep- otherwise I think it's hard to kill off!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Good idea to check out the local garden centre. I did a couple of years ago and by checking out the pots I managed to pick out a couple that I could immediately split into three plants. All doing well and now well established.

Ian

Comment

Our local GC seems to have rhubarb available in early Autumn and then again just after Christmas, I can only assume that this is because these are optimum planting times. But a rhubarb patch at my Mothers which was planted in 1923 and has never had any TLC - in fact just the opposite - and which every year makes a bid for world domination is still going strong. I suspect you'd have to make a serious mistake in order to kill off your crowns and if I was given one I'd chuck it in the ground no matter what the time of year.
                  Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X