exotic fruit to grow in a greenhouse.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exotic fruit to grow in a greenhouse.

Hiya. Im moving my greenhouse so the gable end backs directly onto a southwest facing wall and thought I might take the glass out so that i can grow a more 'exotic' fruit straight against the wall. I had been thinking of lemon, apricot or grape, but have no idea whether any of these would thrive in a greenhouse enviornment or whether they would provide a useful amount of fruit. Any ideas anyone?

Hi Snapdragon. Firstly, believe it or not your lemon is probably happier in a south facing area in summer. In winter it wants some protection but in an unheated greenhouse. Apricot again is fairly happy outside but you don't actually say where you are. It really is most important. Peaches are far happier in a greenhouse whether in Cornwall or John o' Groats. Grapes eventually take lots of room and (again I don't know where you are exactly) it is now possible to get quite nice outdoor varieties (I have 3 in tropical Yorkshire) but if you really love them then there are better varieties for a greenhouse, remembering they will hog the space.

You could go really exotic if it is a fair sized greenhouse and maybe look at pomegranates, limes (which are a bit more tender than lemons) or even if you have enough room for several trees and like a challenge, lychees (something I am trying but have no chance.) Is your greenhouse going to be heated? If so get an edible banana, if not then forget it. It is a huge subject with many variables.
    Last edited by sarraceniac; 04-01-2009, 06:30 PM.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Exotic Fruit in Greenhouse

Hi Sarraceniac. Thanks for the quick response! I live in Sussex so we have a pretty mild climate. The wall in question faces south/south west ish. The greenhouse is unheated and about 15 feet by 9 feet, the latter being the width of gable end. From what you've suggested so far it looks like lemon, peach or a single grape vine might be worth a try?

Comment

That is a good size glasshouse Snapdragon. I would certainly grow a grape vine and a peach cordon. You could manage a few citrus as well. If you have room left (and you should have) then the apricot won't hurt. My advice was based on my own greenhouse (8 by 10) but yours is luxury.

>

Comment

Yeah I agree , after years of squeezing everything bar the kitchen sink into an 8 by 6 greenhouse the space is a real luxury. However I am working hard on filling it! Thanks for the advice. I think I will definitely go for a dessert grapevine and peach cordon in the first instance as I will still want plenty of space for tomatoes cucumbers etc. Are there any particular vine or peach varieties you would recommend?

Comment

Have a look at Victoriana Nurseries website. I have always found them most obliging with advice and they carry some great grapes.

>

Comment

I grow physalis (cape gooseberry) in the greenhouse. You can get good crop and it is easy to take cutting or grow from seeds if one fails.

Comment

I fan trained a peach against the gable end in my 10 by 12 greenhouse years ago. It did really well, but I don't know the name of it. I also grew a grapevine, planted in the corner of the greenhouse and trained up and along the eaves one side. The fruiting rods I trained up over the roof inside, which shaded the plants below (tomatoes and cucumbers etc) from the sun. The leaves weren't in place early in the season, and with everything pruned back for the winter, it allowed light in when it was most needed.
                I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Snapdragon - try a visit to West Dean, Chichester - their glass houses should give you some inspiration.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X