WILD runners

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WILD runners

My strawberry plants have gone crazy they have about 50 runners and many rooting what shall I do HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hi! Please look at my 'brilliant' site about dolls houses and miniatures! I can always use new members, not matter how much you visit or not! Also, the more members I get the more things I can put on, so go on, do me a favor and at least look!
    http://dollshousebeginner.page.tl/

Soobeth would suggest if you can pot the runners on (two from each plant) into little pots of good compost and keep them to increase your strawberry bed next year. Usually you only keep strawberry plants for about four years before replacing them. If you keep some runners you can probably get rid of some of your old plants this year, and then the other half next year. Just a thought!
    Last edited by Squirrel; 05-09-2006, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Some of the bigger plants you could lift & put them into pots & if you have a grenhouse move them into there after CHrismas for an early crop.
      ntg
      Never be afraid to try something new.
      Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
      A large group of professionals built the Titanic
      ==================================================

Comment

Thanks i would also like t know how to post them as i have a relative who would like some
        Hi! Please look at my 'brilliant' site about dolls houses and miniatures! I can always use new members, not matter how much you visit or not! Also, the more members I get the more things I can put on, so go on, do me a favor and at least look!

Comment

lift them when they are rooted & wash of as much of the soil as you can & then put them into some sarnie bags to keep the moisture in & then you'll nedd to put them into a small box & pack a bit of newspaper or bubblewrap around them just to be safe. Write live plants on the box as wel just to be sure
          ntg

Comment

re strawberry plants: I lopped off all the foliage as I was informed i should & it has all grown back again - do I leave it like this or do they need chopping back again?
            How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

I've always lopped mine off after fruiting and then only removed dead / diseased leaves after that - seems to work OK but am willing to be proved wrong by more experianced grapes.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbeam View Post
                re strawberry plants: I lopped off all the foliage as I was informed i should & it has all grown back again - do I leave it like this or do they need chopping back again?
                The reason you cut the leaves off is they may carry disease they have picked up over the year, they new growth is clean & not so dense so the cold can get to the crowns to help with the production of flowers - well thats what I was told when I was a kiddy wink.
                ntg

Comment

Ahhh - that makes sense! Many thankd ntg & Alison
                  How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being.”

Comment

What about planting out the potted up runners. Mine have been potted up for a good month or more now and look healthy with new growth so i assume they have rooted. How do you know when to sperate from the main plant and plant them out?

Comment

If they're producing good growth on their own sounds like they've routed OK, I usually give them a very gentle tug to check they're roots are good then cut them free from the main plant. Depending on where you plant your stawberries you can either plant them out straight away, or better, keep them potted up until next spring - I usually nurture mine in the greenhouse / cold frame so that they're a bit ahead of the outside ones. Don't know if this is what anybody else does but seems to work for me!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Thanks Alison. My main plants were in grow bags this year but I have nowcleared some room in the garden for them. Do you think it would be better to replant them now, before winter or leave them in the grow bags until spring?

Comment

Not 100% sure MissyMoo but would go for planting out as it's quite a good time of year to plant out at the moment as the ground is nice and warm and the plants would have time to establish themselves before any frosts etc. You could look to give them a bit of protection if the weather gets really bad but they shouldn't need it. If you want to give them a head start next spring you can rig up a cloche or something to get them moving but make sure you remove it when they flower otherwise the flowers won't be fertilised. I've got mine in a huge stawberry pot which I heave into the green house for a few months but it nearly kills me every year so may not bother this year!

Comment

Why has every one turned this into a strawberry worries thread.

Comment

Is this possible?

I also have very wild strawberry runners. Im getting runners off the runners! Just had an idea - if I bring a couple of these indoors is it possible to get a small early crop if kept warm, watered and in the light?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X