Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeding fruit trees in pots

Hi All

As in the title, whats best to feed fruit trees in pots, I have apple, pear, plum and cherry not too sure on variety though - does the variety make a difference

Thanks

Darren

hi darren

Liquid feed weekly in spring and summer, using a recognised tomato fertiliser. Its high-potassium content will promote fruiting. About once a month alternate this with a general-purpose liquid fertiliser to ensure adequate nitrogen, because using tomato fertiliser alone can lead to a deficiency of this major nutrient. The alternative to liquid feeding is to place slow-release tablets such as Osmocote® in the compost, according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Topdress annually in spring with a layer of fresh compost, first scraping away about 5cm (2in) depth of the old growing medium. It is important to repot trees every two to three years in order to give them a refreshed environment in which to thrive. Remove loose material from the pot and cut back any thick, thong-like roots if the tree is becoming pot-bound.

hope this helps

dean
    above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

I just topdress with a handful of bonemeal about now. I may give a manure mulch this year so I don't have to water so often. They also get an odd watering during the summer with comfrey tea!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I normally top dress with compost and a layer of bark chips on top of that. About now I normally take the whole lot out and redress with a handful of fish-bone-blood and potash added.
        --
        http://gardenfan.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X