apple tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• apple tree

hellow friends, In dec2008 i bought a apple jonagold tree from LIDL. Can anybody advise me, if i need another tree for pollination. I got another apple tree in my Garden but i dont know the name. Need expert advise please.
    thanks
    massivee

Hi and welocme. It's hard to say without knowing the name of your other tree. They fall into several groups for pollination. Jonagold is what's called a triploid - it can't be used for pollination and it needs another tree to pollinate it. Whether your existing tree will do the trick depends to some extent on when it flowers. Some are earlier, some later. They need to be in flower at the same time. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

An easy way with apples is to get a crab apple tree, they flower longer and will usualy polinate most apples
      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Friends, Is that can work if i buy a difrent apple tree, which flower same time as jonagold tree. Is it poible . Which is sweet aplple to go with it.
        Thanks
        massivee

Comment

You need two pollinators for Jonagold as it is a self sterile triploid. There are lots of different types which would work eg Falstaff, Katy etc but you'd be best having a look on the internet for more info to choose something you actually like. From a quick google search I've found this site Jonagold - Apple - Fruit Trees - Keepers Nursery - possibly the largest range of fruit trees and soft fruit plants in the world which may be of use but you might be able to find something else if you have a spare 15 mins to look.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Apple trees are fairly common in most areas. If you're lucky, you won't need your own pollinator because the bees may pass by another apple tree on their way to yours.
            It might be that your other tree is self-fertile, so that it can pollinate itself and the Jonagold.
            But it might be that your other tree is also self-sterile. It might also be that the trees don't flower at the same time, so pollination can't happen.

So, to sum up:
            You may well get enough pollination from nearby apple trees owned by other people.
            But it will be more successful to have a nearby pollinator for each tree.

You may be able to draw-in more bees by having spring flowers (my apples and pears are underplanted with snowdrop, aconite, bluebell, crocus, iris, hyacinth, foxglove, chives, lavender and many other bee-friendly plants, to help get the bees flying through, in advance of the fruit trees flowering)
            I also encourage solitary bees to nest near to my apples, by providing logs, or lumps of wood drilled with 5-10mm wide holes. Solitary orchard bees are good pollinators that will fly in bad weather when other bees are "grounded". They are generally very docile (I've often had them come and pick up mud from where I've just been digging and not even notice me watching them from just inches away!). They don't have a sting, but might stab you with their egg-laying tube if you interfere with them. However, like most bees (not wasps!) they will do their utmost to avoid confrontation.

Help the pollinators to help you.

Comment

Masivee

If you look on the instructions, it tells you some pollinators.

Here is a copy of the Instructions, I always copy instructions and keep my own records using Gmail, ignore Tree 2 as that is my reference as I do not make labels with the name but with Tree 1,2 etc.

Apple 'Jonagold' (Tree 2)

Planted 17th February 2009 in Fruit Bed.

Planting
              Choose a sunny, well-drained site.

Avoid planting in wet or frozen conditions.

If the tree cannot be planted immediately, leave it in its plastic root bag in a frost-free place, until soil conditions are more favourable.

Before planting, remove the boot bag and soak roots thoroughly, by standing them in water.

Dig a hole large enough for the roots, spread them out in the hole, cover with soil and firm in well, to avoid any air pockets forming around the roots.

Stake the tree firmly to prevent it from rocking.

General Pruning:
              Regular pruning of Apple trees is needed to promote increased fruit yields. In early summer, prune the current years growth back to 6 or 7 buds from the main stem. This will encourage more fruiting growths to form. In winter, prune out any overcrowded branches and remove any diseased or crossing ones, thus opening up the centre of the tree. Horizontal branches bear more fruit than vertical ones.

Feeding:
              Use a multi-purpose fertiliser with a high potash content in the early spring.

Spraying:
              Use a multi-purpose spray for mildew and aphids. Follow the manufacturer's instructions.

Pollination:
              Red Delicious, Gala and Fuji

Height:
              Height will vary, depending on pruning. This variety will grow to approx. 1.5 to 3m (6-10ft)

Cropping:
              October

Taken from Plant Instructions, Purchased from Lidl.
              HAPPY 'Growing My Own'
              Dale

Comment

Massivee, I only know one thing about Jonagold - last year, visiting an apple farm with my grandchildren, I bought some pressed Jonagold juice - I can honestly say it was the most beautiful apple juice I've ever drunk.

Good luck with your tree.
                My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

If any of your neighbours have apple trees which flower at the same time as Jonagold, you may not need any pollenators, as they'll do it.

[Edit] as I now see someone else has already said!
                  Last edited by StephenH; 01-03-2009, 12:49 PM.
                  Tour of my back garden mini-orchard.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X