New Teeny Tiny Redcurrant Bush

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Teeny Tiny Redcurrant Bush

Hello everyone, I'm a bit new to trying to make things grow and would really appreciate some advice. These may seem like silly questions but I am a total beginner and am really keen to get this right!

I helped out on an allotment a couple of years ago and even though I thought it sounded like hard work, I enjoyed every minute of it (especially the eating part). I don't have a garden of my own and couldn't handle an allotment at the moment, so I have bought a smashing book called Crops in Pots and started a project with a redcurrant bush. It's in a 40cm x 40cm (ish) pot on my patio, and is basically a 10-inch high "Y" shaped thing which at the moment just looks a bit twig-like!

I have three questions:
    1. How much should I water it? My previous record with houseplants is *not* good at all, I am terrified of overwatering them and consequently they usually dehydrate. How can I make sure I get it right this time, in this size of pot and at this time of year?
    2. Am I *really* alright to have planted it this early in the year? My book says it should survive a frost alright, but it's so little, I wonder if I should cover it up, and if so, what with?
    3. How long will it take to indicate whether it's happy or not (i.e. how long will it be before I know if I've killed it )?

Any advice would be very gratefully received, as I am a total duffer in such matters, although I am finding it all very exciting thus far.

Yours,
    Miss Locksley
    Last edited by Miss_Locksley; 23-02-2009, 06:40 PM. Reason: Typo!

Well, Miss Locksley, I have a red currant bush for about 6 years now although its planted in the ground outdoors.
    Don't have the soil sodden as there will not be a lot of growth just yet and not a lot of heat to dry the soil out.
    Most plants die from overwatering rather than underwatering.
    Stick your finger in the soil and if its moist its fine.
    Don't kill it with kindness as redxcurrants are hardy.
    Relax and enjoy the experience.

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Thank you for the advice. I have just donned the wellies and been out to check, and it's still very moist, so I shall leave it alone today (but hopefully remember to keep checking...)!

Yours,
      Miss Locksley

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X