windowsill fruit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• windowsill fruit

Im new to all this. Have posted a couple of questions regarding veg and my new raised beds.
    I have a nice large windowsill in my office at work, gets plenty of light and the room temp is maintained about 22 in day and drops to about 18 at night. Can anyone suggest a small fruit that may grow here, others have flowers and plants on these (mainly the women). I would like to grow something which is nice to look at and may provide a nice snack for lunch later on.
    Any suggestions. Ps cant be to large as the boss may object to a greenhouse.
    many thanks

my brother bought me a little orange tree last year( searching for its name and cant find!) from homebase and it sat in conservatory until late last year when brought into warmer kitchen. It has grown well with little care needed. The fruits are bit too bitter to eat but ok to cook with. But it looks really pretty as it has had oranges on it all the time.
    Elsie

Comment

Tomato - I know they grow tall but you can pinch out the growing tip when one or two trusses of fruits have set.
      Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Most citrus would go there, i would go for a small lemon tree, the calamondin orange they sell everywere looks nicer but the fruit is disgusting, you can cook with it, but its still nasty the best thing with the calamondin is use the fruit just as it starts to go orange to squeeze on fish like lemon, its actualy a type of lime not an orange,lemons take longer to grow but theres more to do with them and more impresive to look at

tomatos or strawberrys are less hassle and more productive than citrus though
        Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I have a small orange tree on a windowsill which I grew from a seed. I wonder if it will fruit.

Steven
          http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by nerobot View Post
            I have a small orange tree on a windowsill which I grew from a seed. I wonder if it will fruit.

Steven
            It will fruit, eventualy , they always do, but its going to take some time, they make nice trees though even without fruit, the secret to getting it to fruit, keep it warm, fertilise it with a good citrus fertiliser , and them most important never ever prune it at all, everytime you prune it, it makes the tree younger again, they keep track of how many leaf nodes they have grown, it will get to about 10 foot tall as well!, it wil probably take about 7-10 years to fruit

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
              It will fruit, eventualy , they always do, but its going to take some time, they make nice trees though even without fruit, the secret to getting it to fruit, keep it warm, fertilise it with a good citrus fertiliser , and them most important never ever prune it at all, everytime you prune it, it makes the tree younger again, they keep track of how many leaf nodes they have grown, it will get to about 10 foot tall as well!, it wil probably take about 7-10 years to fruit
              Thanks for the information. It's a good job that it is nice as it is

Steven
              http://www.geocities.com/nerobot/Bir...shingThumb.jpg

Comment

Peppers will grow well there Simon and you can eat them for lunch. They look pretty too.

Attached Files

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

How 'bout a Pineapple? I have managed to start one off by rooting the leafy top of a purchase in water, then potting it up into homemade compost when the roots were about an inch long. It's doing very well on my kitchen window sill. It may have been a bit of a fluke though as all the others I've tried since have gone manky. Good luck!
                  When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
                    How 'bout a Pineapple? I have managed to start one off by rooting the leafy top of a purchase in water, then potting it up into homemade compost when the roots were about an inch long. It's doing very well on my kitchen window sill. It may have been a bit of a fluke though as all the others I've tried since have gone manky. Good luck!
                    Before you try and root it, take any wet fruit parts off the end, leave just the stump of the stalk below the leaves, let it go dry on the end and then plant it in compost/perlite mix , the drying of the end is best to make it root , it takes ages to get a fruit grown from one though and quite a high temperature
                    Last edited by starloc; 25-02-2009, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by starloc View Post
                      Before you try and root it, take any wet fruit parts off the end, leave just the stump of the stalk below the leaves, let it go dry on the end and then plant it in compost/perlite mix , the drying of the end is best to make it root , it takes ages to get a fruit grown from one though and quite a high temperature
                      someone else wrote about pineapple growing, and said thee same but also to watch not to get compost on the leaves. I am going to try it with pineapple we have
                      Elsie

Comment

Tomatoes, a small bushy variety like Red Robin. Yum yum!

Seeds, Herbs and Bedidng Plants from Kings Seeds 

Comment

sorry to hijack (but you may be interested as well).

I kept some 'seeds' that were in the skin of a pineapple last year.
                          I have since read that pineapples don't have 'seeds',,,, any idea what the little 'seedy' things are in pineapple skins please ?

Similarly with bananas: I have tried collecting the little black bits in a nana,,,, but are they actually seeds,,,, & should they grow ?

Thanks for letting me but in.
                          try it once,,,,, you might like it !

Comment

pineapple thread

another one

and in second one : "Pineapple growers did you know that store bought pineapples have seeds? Yes they do!. The seeds are very small and lie just inside the outer skin of the pineapples flesh if you look closely you will find 'em. It's kinda of another fun way of trying to grow 'em. This is how I do it, find the seeds place 'em on paper toweling fold the toweling to cover the seeds, give them a good wash in fresh water to clean 'em. You may need tweezers to remove them after this. Place the clean seeds on a new piece of paper toweling fold and wet this, place inside a baggie keep warm. you will see the seeds germinate within the baggy, Once they germinate again use your tweezer and plant 'em in peat. keep moist. some may die others may grow. anyway it's fun. Give it a try and lets us know" by drichard12
                            Elsie

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X