Some Sort of Currant???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Sort of Currant???

Ok, I've just taken over a neglected allotment which has a few mystery occupants.
    They have obviously been planted as they are in a neat row about a foot apart. About 12 - 18 inches high, reddish brown, twiggy, covered in tiny - not too prickly - thorns. They are just comming into bud and the tiny leaf I examined this morning looks a little like a currant leaf.
    I want to shift them as the whole site needs strafing, but if they are something I can salvage I don't want to upset them
    Any ideas?
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

I'm thinking raspberries. Are they single shoots or are there signs of new shoots coming up at the base?
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Some of the goosebery/blackcurrant hybrids spring to mind?

But Capsid's probably right as these wouldn't be planted so close together! Yep, probably raspberrries!
      Last edited by Snadger; 25-02-2009, 06:10 PM.
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks, I thought they might be, though they aren't particularly "caney". There are no new shoots from the base, though to tell the truth I haven't looked too closely.
        They are budding all down the stem. Do you think they are likely to be autum fruiting variety? The summer ones I'm familiar with are quite different in appearance - that's what threw me.

Comment

Originally posted by Creemteez View Post
          Thanks, I thought they might be, though they aren't particularly "caney". There are no new shoots from the base, though to tell the truth I haven't looked too closely.
          They are budding all down the stem. Do you think they are likely to be autum fruiting variety? The summer ones I'm familiar with are quite different in appearance - that's what threw me.
          There are quite a few different varieties. So difficult to know what you have until they fruit.
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Not to worry, on closer inspection I'm pretty sure I've got some Autumn fruiters. There were shoots comming up from the base (hidden in the thick grass) and I managed to track down a photo in one of my books which looks very similar. I have taken a chance and dug 'em up, potted them into 50/50 mole-hill and home made, and lopped 'em off at their stocking tops. They'll have to stay potted until the Autumn now I s'pose.
            Anyway, thanks for the help!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X