Strawberries in hanging baskets...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberries in hanging baskets...

How many strawberry plants would you recommend planting into a 14inch basket?
    If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing to excess

I just asked this question about tumbling tomatoes and was told about 3 plants was enough.

I bought those hanging flower bags for my strawbs and I've put nine in there so I get a decent crop and good coverage of the bag.

I'll need to keep an eye on this one!
    Serene she stand amid the flowers,
    And only count lifes sunny hours,
    For her dull days do not exist,
    Evermore the optimist

Comment

Lol, I was wondering about the tumbler toms too, but figured I could use the same amount as the strawbs as both are greedy feeders. I only put one tumbler in each basket last year and they looked a bit lonely

I saw a piccie of a basket with tumbling toms and purple surfinias in it last year. It looked stunning.

Comment

These are the ones I planted last week. They seem to have been kick started into growing lots of new growth since replanting them.
        I have two for tumblers as well but I think I'll only put 4 or 5 toms in them.
        Attached Files
        Evermore the optimist

Comment

Thanks for reminding me. I have quite a few of those in the shed.

Comment

I plan on putting 3 Tumbling Toms in each of my baskets, and when I was starting my strawbs last year I only put one plant in each 12" basket but I wasn't really interested in the fruit, but on taking as many runners off the parent plants as I could.
            If I was growing the starwbs in 12" baskets again, I would put three in each basket, as with the Tumblers.
            Rat

British by birth
            Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
            http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks. I've bought so much seed, plants, fruit and so many trees that I need to hang and dangle and containerise as much as I can

Comment

same as me eco - Im the only one in our house who likes tomatos or peppers and I have around 25 tomato plants and half a dozen pepper.....eek! Im only a kichen gardener so pot, bag, plot and recycle everything to make the best of my ambitious wee garden.
                Evermore the optimist

Comment

Lol, I have the keys to three houses with under-utilised garden space so I can go as mad as I like when I come back from holiday.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X