What size pot for a raspberry plant

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What size pot for a raspberry plant

Hi All can you tell me what size I should be growing my raspberry plant in.
    Thanks
    Daniel

Originally posted by Daniel Robinson View Post
    Hi All can you tell me what size I should be growing my raspberry plant in.
    Thanks
    Daniel
    Hi Daniel,
    I have never heard of anyone growing raspberries in pots before so did a little google and quite a lot have tried but without too much success and especially with the summer varieties, this site has some more information on how they got on Pots of Fruit: Raspberries

hope someone else has a more definite answer for you - good luck with it though.

Comment

I have been growing raspberries in containers for the past 3 years. I have them planted in large water containers that have been cut in half the are about 80-90cm diameter and about 60 cm high. I have 6 summer ones in one and 6 autum in the other. I get quite a lot of fruit from them and they grow really well

Comment

I've got some raspberry canes in the orange B&Q buckets, leaves are beginning to form, so they seem to be growing ok, fingers crossed I get lots of fruit !
        http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

thats great i really appreciate your help.
          thanks
          daniel

Comment

Hi. I only joined your forum about ten minutes ago and already I'm really excited about my garden. The above question was one I was going to ask. I too bought a blackberry and a raspberry plant and wasn't too sure what to do with them 1st. I too wanted to grow them in pots, do I plant up and put them out now ? Do they need full sun/partial sun etc ?

Comment

Like Jenegade, I have just planted 9 Polka raspberry canes in 6 B&Q 14 Litre buckets (the tasteful 1pound black ones!) in 50/50 topsoil and MPC.
              The roots of the canes are pretty shallow, so I can see no reason why they wouldnt work in pots, the only problem will come when the suckers become constrained, but there is quite a bit of room in each bucket so should be good for a couple of years, and I am happy to split and repot if needed.

Comment

In answer to your question I would plant them out now in a sunny spot, soft fruit really benefits from as much sun as possible to ripen and sweeten. The label on the raspberries usually says will tolerate partial shade, but they wont thrive and fruit as well in the shade in my experience. If you can, plant the raspberries in the ground, as they will do better there than in pots and plan to net or use a fruit cage else the birds will have a feast. I am only using pots due to a house move planned next year.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll do that this afternoon, it's beautiful here in Basingstoke.. You've already been a huge help with this question, just waiting on replies about my apple tree's Don't think that answer is going to be as productive as this one though ? Julie

Comment

Hi Guys my raspberry plants has grown a sucker, should i split them now into seperate pots or wait.
                    thanks
                    Daniel

Comment

Dont seperate/split them, when you plant them, they grow new canes from the roots , its the new canes you need, either fruiting on them next year if its summer fruiting or fruiting on the new growth this year if autumn fruiting
                      Last edited by starloc; 21-03-2009, 11:23 PM.
                      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I grew some rasps last year in a grecian urn! They grew well and enjoyed the open compost that a Yucca had been planted in. I got a really good crop and the plant never grew higher than about 3 foot!

Alas the urn succumbed to the frost and I must rescue the plant and replant it soon!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X