Fallgold respberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fallgold respberries?

I have acquired a few canes of Fallgold raspberries. Have any Grapes got experience of this variety? Is it tasty? Any growing/pruning tips?

fallgold is an autumn fruiting raspberry which means it bears its fruit on this seasons growth. not sure of the taste but is supposed to be good for freezing but to be honest most fruit in this house gets eaten before it gets near the freezer.

before planting dig in plenty of well rotted manure or compost. plant the canes about 12" apart in a row. prune to about 10" above the soil. new canes should appear at ground level, tie these in and support.

hope this helps
    Last edited by greendean; 27-03-2009, 09:30 PM.
    above the clouds the sun is shining and the sky is blue. if you look hard enough you can just about see it!

Comment

Thanks greendean, I am going to mix in in with my other raspberries in pots:the yellow fruit will look quite different and will be fun to cook with. My local garden centre is having a clearout of last years unsold stock, at silly prices: Basically you get a fruit bush that is an extra year older, bigger (if slightly potbound) for a quarter of the regular price. I picked up the yellow raspberries, and some really large and nice blackcurrants for next to nowt. The bonus with the raspberries was that though the pots were marked as a single cane, but had been through one season, there were 3 or 4 suckers new growing= free plants....

Comment

Lucky you getting the free one. And the birds don't usually get them cos they're yellow not red. I'm thinking the same way colour wise so will have to drive around the local nurseries and see if there are any on offer.

Comment

It also spreads like wildfire, so you'll have loads of new suckers every year. We have 13 new suckers from 1 cane!!! I don't mind though, they're beautiful *slightly* different to the Autumn Bliss.

Comment

One problem with the yellow rasps, is that the damage caused by the raspberry beatle is all too obvious on the yellow fruits.

Comment

Wise birds !

Hi Welsh wizard.

To be honest, I've grown them for two years, and been very disappointed with the flavour. Very bland indeed IMHO.

I wouldn't give them more than one years trial, if I was you.

I think the birds know something !

Comment

Anyone know if there's a difference between Fallgold and the Allgold ones? I've picked up some Allgold ones from Swanley Plants on eBay. Assume they come from the same/similar strain. Though looking at the name Fallgold, are they an autumn fruiting one cos the Allgold fruits in July so they're summer fruiting.

Comment

What would you all consider to be the best autumn raspberry to grow , I would like to get some for this year .I have summer ones and a space to fill alongside them I thought autumn ones would be perfect .

It has two chances , up or down.

Comment

I personally grow mostly Polka, but Autumn Bliss seems to be the standard, and I have a few canes of that also.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X