Cranberry help

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranberry help

Hi, i have done a search but have not found much helpful info on how to look after my cranberry bush.
    I bought one last year and killed it, even though it had ericaceous compost.
    How should i look after my new one? can it go directly into soil? and if so what other plants would it be good near? i dont have a blueberry.
    If i plant it in the soil do i need to put ericaceous compost in the hole before i plant it? i would like this one to survive!!
    Hope this makes sense,
    thanks

Cranberries do like boggy conditions, so if you plant it in the ground you should try to make a small 'bog' garden, and as you already know, ericaceous compost. I would think a pot would be easier to manage.
    I bought some from Woolies 3 years ago and planted them at the base of my blueberry (I know you haven't got one ). They've grown but I've not had them flower yet, so I can't say I've been very successful, but they were tiny things, and half price at that, so I suppose I can't complain.
    Last edited by BarleySugar; 03-04-2009, 06:02 AM.
    I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
    Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Phil, isn't Devon soil already ericaceous, ie acidic?
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by hypnophil View Post
        Hi, i have done a search but have not found much helpful info on how to look after my cranberry bush.
        I got this from Google:
        If you don't have naturally acidic soil, try digging a sunken bed in the garden, lining it with perforated black plastic and filling in with ericaceous compost. These are shallow-rooting plants, so you don't need to dig deep.

Cranberries can even be grown as trailing plants in hanging baskets - just four plants will provide a family with a year's worth of berries.

They will need plenty of water, but don't require any pruning, and only a pinch of food every month during the growing period.

When buying plants, make sure you buy mature plants: most varieties won't produce a good crop of berries until they are at least two years old.
        BBC - Gardening - Grow your own - Fruit-growing advice
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

They dont need boggy ground, I just plant them under my blueberry bushes and water as required which is not very often.

We get a good crop every year and make cranberry relish with them.

Comment

Thanks guys,
            I have got a soil test kit so will test the soil in the bit of ground where i was thinking of putting it, the soil doesnt drain well there, but i might put the soil in a pot and try it that way.
            Appreciate your help.
            Phil

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X