Bananas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bananas

Has anyone grown any banana trees? My girlfriend says that she grew one when she was younger but had to get rid of it as it grew to big. If anyone has what variety would be best for our climate?

Musa Basjoo is supposedly the hardiest one.
    BBC - Gardening - Plants - Plant Finder - Musa basjoo
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I did find this site with banana seeds Tropical and Traditional Flower and Vegetable Seeds from JungleSeeds has anyone looked at this or bought from it?

Comment

I get all my tropical seeds from them including bananas.

Comment

Cool might give them a go, thanks pepper

Comment

I bought some banana seeds from the Eden Project (I think, defo from somewhere down that way) a few years ago. The instructions were to rub the seeds with sandpaper (honest), leave them soaking for 24 hours and plant. None, not one, germinated which was a shame, they were some dwarf and hardy type which should be able to fruit in warm summers but I just wanted them for an interesting patio plant. Bought a plant from the Tatton Show last year which had rich red leaves and looked good but wouldn't ever produce edible fruit. It's in a tub in the greenhouse over winter but I need to repot and cut the dead growth back as it's only root hardy and the top bit is a bit grotty looking now.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X