Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blackberry/raspberry canes coming up

Hi everyone,

I have planted my first raspberrys and backberrys this year for the first time ever and they are coming along nicely. I have a question though with regards to the new canes coming up which has me confused... as you can see from the first picture from what i can see there are a couple of new canes coming up from the base with plenty of leaves. However, something else has also emerged with 2 large leaves. What exactly is this? I thought it was a weed at first but if you look at the second picture, there are 2 more of these on my other blackbarry bush. I have also had one of these things popup from my raspberrys also.

Cheers,
    Brian

It's not a raspberry or blackberry, so if you don't want it growing there (I suggest you don't) then it's a weed. Pull it out.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Looks a bit like a sunflower to me, do you feed the birds anywhere near there? If so, that might be what it is
      A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

That is a redcurrent

Comment

Seedlings are definitely not blackcurrant or raspberry. When I find seedlings like that I will often put them in a pot to see what eventually grows. It may be something that you can use or it might be a true weed but either way next time you see a seedling like that you will know what it is.

Ian

Comment

I reckon its somesort of curcurbit seedling - have you used home made compost that could have been habouring courgette or squash remnants?

J

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X