Grapevine Info pls

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapevine Info pls

Hi i planted a grapevine in september last year, it was a house warming present from a friend, when i planted it, it was about 12-18inches tall and had loads of leaves, it didn't do much and as winter came the leaves began to wilt and die off,(which i understand to be normal).

What i would like to know it when will it spring back into life? it has little buds and has had these since february, it is planet in my garden in a south facing spot against a fence.

i'm not to sure what the variety is as i have missed placed the label that came with it( lurking somewhere in the shed no doubt). all i know is that it said it could be grown out side and it will produce red fruit.

any help much apprecated..

Stretch, we've discussed vines on here sooooooo many times, may be worth consulting the archives.

But my vines are exactly the same as yours and from experience, they'll be growing away in about a month or so, so should yours be.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Stretch mine starts leafing up in around May and then there's no stopping it!
      AKA Angie

Comment

Mines leafing up now! (Tis in a greenhouse though!)
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Get ready to tie it into the fence as it will shoot up considerably and then consider whether you are going to grow it for leaves and cover or if you want grapes....cos care will be different - i have some really really old vines which dont produce much fruit anymore but they provide leaves for shade in one of my sitting areas.
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

I got one last year and it looked dead, but in the last week or so it has started to bud so I am happy about that, like you stretch I haven't got much of a clue about it so just hope for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Jardiniere View Post
              Get ready to tie it into the fence as it will shoot up considerably and then consider whether you are going to grow it for leaves and cover or if you want grapes....cos care will be different - i have some really really old vines which dont produce much fruit anymore but they provide leaves for shade in one of my sitting areas.
              If you do grow it for cover/leaves, remember to cut the flowers/bunches of grapes off whilst they're still young or when the vine is a bit more mature, reduce the bunches by 75% (roughly) and you may get cover and some grapes. That's what we do (but reduce by 90%) and our terrace is completely covered every year (the vine is 20 years old) for shade and we get bunches of sweet black grapes round the outside.
              TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

thanks people for all your info, i had a quick look this afternoon when i got in from work and the buds have started to change colour and increased in size, so with a bit of luck it will get going in the next few weeks, i will have to get wires put up over the easter weekend, i have been told 9-12 inches apart parrallel wires are what i should do,
                any tips on training?
                i'd like to see if i can get some fruit this year but i might just let the plant yet established.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X