Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• raspberry splitting

Hello knowledgeable peeps.

After your advice about getting my pot grown raspberries in quick I am just checking (although I have already done it) that I have split them correctly. They were jam packed into big pots and had already been sprouting. Now I can't remember if they were summer or autumn fruiting as we seemed to get them all the time. So I literally divided them by hand and knife. Each pot gave me five BIG clumps. Should I have divided them further ? are they going to be ok or did I leave it too late ? I chopped off all of last years canes although they were sprouting and only left the new growth, I suppose I will then find out what season they are to fruit. Is it last years growth fruiting for summer/new growth fruiting for autumn ??
    Ooh 'eck have I killed them now ?

Plant them and see what happens. I doubt you have killed them. Summer fruiting will flower from last year's wood (cut down to about 12" in autumn); autumn fruiting flower from the current season's growth (cut all growth down in February).
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I've also just bought a pot grown raspberry from the garden centre. I chose an autumn one as I have a small garden, so that I didn't have to bother with training, etc... but having read the above, I'm a bit confused now.

The five canes came in a pot. The variety is Autumn Bliss (this is an Autumn variety, right???) and the canes have been cut down to 12" long. I'm sure it's last year's wood, as it's brown and thick. There are a couple of shoots about growing from them. They're still in the pot and there is nothing growing from the soil yet. Should I be cutting down the old wood? All the books that I've consulted says that Autumn varieties should be cut to ground level...

Sorry if the above question seems a bit stupid. It's my first raspberry........
      http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

I'd leave them as they are for now to get established, especially if there are shoots coming from the stems. The plants needs to put on some growth so cutting it back may set them back a bit.
        Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Agree with Capsid, as you have only just planted them leave at the 12" while they establish. If you get some really good growth you can always gut the 12" back later in the season. Make sure you water well for the first few months.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X