Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

French rootstock for fruit trees??......

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French rootstock for fruit trees??......

OK- I need to get my head around this bit- so any help would be appreciated folks!!!

I understand about English rootstock names and how they affect the final height of the tree.
    So...They don't seem to have the same classification for the rootstock out here- can anyone explain this to me???
    also - they graft in a different way as they will often put a second graft between the two to alter the height the tree bushes out from- is that just to create height or does that also affect the final height/spread of the tree???

signed..Totally Confused from Normandy xx
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Nicos, I haven't got a clue but I'll look it up in my French fruit gardening books and see whether I can find an answer - I'm intrigued also.
    TonyF, Dordogne 24220

Comment

Thanks Tony.....I've just been asking how high this one will grow ...and that one....I hate looking thick!!!!

Comment

It is not unusual to graft an "interstock". But they cost extra. Sometimes an interstock is used for a rootstock/scion combination that are not directly compatible.

A good use for an interstock might be where you need a strong root system that is able to compete for water and nutrients, yet you don't want a huge tree.
        MM111 is commonly used to give a very strong and competitive root system that can quickly grow new roots towards water after rainfall. It is very tolerant of nasty soil conditions; poor soil and drought. I have studied MM111 root growth and can confirm that it has an enormous spread of fine roots and is therefore extremely quick to grab it's fair share of water and nutrients, before rainfall drains away or is "stolen" by weeds or grass.
        M9 is said to produce the best quality fruit, but the roots break easily and it lacks enough vigour to compete for water and nutrients. Without clean ground, M9 will soon die of starvation and drought.
        By grafting a dwarfing "interstem" - say M9 - the benefits of the MM111 water-competitiveness and anchorage can be harnessed, but you still can benefit from the dwarfing effect and better fruit of the M9 rootstock.

MM111/M9 offers the best of everything: strong and competitive roots giving excellent anchorage, drought tolerance and disease resistance on a small sized tree that produes the finest quality fruits.

With France being warmer than the UK, I would be worried about Fireblight attacking the (very susceptible) M9 interstock and killing the tree as a result. Before going for interstocks, check their suitability for your growing conditions.

Comment

Right- OK...I've just about got my head around that! - Thanks FB

Now then...I wonder how I ask all that in French!

When we went to buy an apple tree we were offered it in 3 heights- grafted as in the UK- one with an extra graft at about 5ft- and a third one with the extra graft at about 7 ft. He said it was easier to walk underneath the taller ones, but harder to pick as they'd grow taller.

We went for the middle one so it'd be easier to mow under it, and not too difficult to reach the fruit.

I'd still like to know what they call all those grafts!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X