Container for Coronet Apple tree

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James A

It's not a bad tree, but all trees benefit from some guidance, to get the best shape. Since it'll be a pot tree all it's life and it's already quite well grown, I'd more-or-less let it do as it pleases, but with a few bits of encouragement.

If it was mine, here's what I'd do:

Choose the best branch at the top of the tree as your dominant "leader" and remove all fruits that try to form on that branch. Keep that branch growing upwards, to allow the trunk to continue, so that another tier of branches can develop above. If you don't want anotehr tier of branches, then allow it to fruit and get pulled horizontal, or prune off the leader in the winter.
    With all the top branches pulled down by fruit weight, it will virtually cease growth and form more fruit spurs.

Some ideas on how to to choose the "best" of that uppermost cluster:
    The one that joins the trunk at trhe highest point
    The most upright
    The most central
    The strongest

Some or all of the other high-level branches should be either:
    Allowed to fruit and let the weight of fruit bend them downwards.
    or Weighed or tied to an almost horizontal angle.
    or Pruned back hard or pruned off next winter (pruning M27 rootstock is best avoided wherever possible as it sometimes lacks enough vigour to re-grow after pruning - especially if fruiting)

Cut back, during next winter, (cut off two-thirds it's length), that really long branch on the middle right of the picture.

Thin out fruits after the June drop, so that only 1-3 fruits are allowed to develop from each cluster of flowers (often five flowers per cluster).

Try to encourage growth on the upper left, above the nursery tag, otherwise the tree will become unbalanced. Clever winter pruning of one of the cluster of branches at the top (cut back to 2-4 buds) might - as it re-grows - allow you to force a shoot to grow in the correct direction.

Make sure that the compost is changed every few years.

But please bear in mind that it'd be much easier if I was stood beside the tree, to see what could be done with it.
    Last edited by FB.; 23-04-2009, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Many thanks FB, will log this away for the end of the season and make a few adjustments as per your recommendations! Looking forward to seeing it grow and fruit.

Its nice to have some more permanent items in the garden now, along with this tree ive got a brown turkey fig and im currently trying to resurrect a lilac. Its been in the same pot for years, unloved and neglected, i didnt even know what it was actually. Just given it a good prune, weed and feed in the hope it will perk up and flower this year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X