playmate for bluebery bush?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• playmate for bluebery bush?

I have recently read somewhere that blueberry bushes fruit better when they have another blueberry bush nearby....... is this true? if so then i'll be buying another one this weekend!

Yup!!!!

Watch out though- because some varieties flower earlier than others!

( best get a few more of different varieties...)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I love blueberries so no prob having lots!!! plus i've just started making my own wine!! mmmm blueberry wine......... The one i just bought already has buds on it!

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
        Yup!!!!

Watch out though- because some varieties flower earlier than others!

( best get a few more of different varieties...)
        You don't happen to know which blueberries fall into which pollination groups, do you?

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
          You don't happen to know which blueberries fall into which pollination groups, do you?
          not really...but this might give an idea...

Trehane Nursery - Blueberry Varieties

I have 3 varieties....Rubel- now in full flower
          Earlybird ( Early Blue)- about to open
          Bluecrop (patio) - flower buds ..but at least another week

My Earlybird is in flower at the end of the Rubel and beginning of the Bluecrop

Here are a few more varieties..

http://www.hargreavesplants.com/temp...p?sectionId=53

http://www.dorset-blueberry.com/uk_b..._varieties.asp

http://www.dorset-blueberry.com/blueberry_varieties.htm
          Last edited by Nicos; 23-04-2009, 04:39 PM.
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

They are partially self-fertile though, so even if you only have one you'll still get a crop but it will be about 10% reduced. I have loads of varieties, don't know any of their pollination groups BUT the first flowers opened on the Earliblue this morning and I absolutely love the scent, so first flower day is always special.
            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I bought a 'self fertile' last year - Sunshine blue (1 litre tub £6 Blackmoor Nursey) and though there were all of 5 berries last year, this year it is flowering it's little head off.

Fingers crossed, lots of fruit!

Comment

I live close by the Trehane nursery and bought 3 of the the plants on their special offer back in March. I asked a member of staff to pick out 3 for me and she chose Bluecrop, Patriot & Chandler. They are all in pots and the Patriot has a some open flowers on, the Chandler looks like it is going to have loads, though I keep reading how you are supposed to take the flowers off for the first year you have them, I can't quite bring myself to.

Comment

Originally posted by Kittypickle View Post
                  I keep reading how you are supposed to take the flowers off for the first year you have them, I can't quite bring myself to.
                  Just sit and sniff them, removing a blueberry flower is just WRONG. At least wait until it's died back a bit. I grew Chandler and it's a great variety. Sadly I accidentally left it behind when I swapped allotments and haven't seen one in a nursery since.
                  Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X