Rhubarb-when and how to divide?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb-when and how to divide?

After getting rid of some bushes from the garden,it turned out we have rhubarb in the corner.There's 1 plant the size of "proper" rhubarb and about 5 small ones.Is there any chance to divide them and when is the best time to do it?

RHS says Nov-Mar: Royal Horticultural Society - Advice: Growing Rhubarb
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

i have just planted a grape vine in a pot in my greenhouse what is the best way to bring it on ,and also is there a set way to feed and water it.
      I am so new at this that any help would be of great help.
      Thanks in advance for any help Richard

Comment

Hi Coreopsis! I'm glad you posted this thread, as I've just been given an unwanted Rhubarb by a customer. It divided itself easily, so I now have seven individual plants - YAY

I've been 'Googling' (as you do) and come up with these;

Growing Rhubarb from the National Vegetable Society NVS

and;

Rhubarb growing, care and harvest - page 1

Very useful, but not if you've just 'acquired' it at the wrong time of year!

I'm going to plant mine in the next few days, following the advice from these articles, and keep my fingers crossed. I won't harvest next year, and will treat it as year one. That is, unless someone with better advice comes along!
        Last edited by Glutton4...; 13-05-2009, 08:09 PM.
        All the best - Glutton 4 Punishment
        Freelance shrub butcher and weed removal operative.

Comment

I'll moan a bit:I know it's different with perennials-you cut the clump in 2 and ta daa-you have 2 plants.But dividing"invisible" plant that's another story.Well,I'll try(if I don't forget till November).Thanks for the info

Comment

This is good to know as the allotment i took on has at least 4 large rhubarb plants on it, from what the locals are telling me nobodys done anything with them for about 5 yrs! So i'm sure i should split them this autumn.
            Peaceful days are in the garden!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X