Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No leaves on my plum !

Hello all
    Im not having such a great day with my veggies and fruit.
    So I wonder if anyone knows why my plum tree (in a pot, bare root planted last spring) hasnt got any leaves on it. The sproutings are there ready and a couple of leaves came out but have now gone. I have scraped back the bark and it is all still green so its not dead. Do plums need a very sheltered position ? What could be wrong ? After my crispy tom leaves and now my naked plum Im too frightened to inspect anything more today

I think its dead. Did it have leaves last year?

Is it still in the pot or did you plant it out?

If its still in a pot what are you feeding it with
    My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Could it be a severe aphid attack? This happened to me a couple of years ago with a young plum tree. The good news was that once the aphids were gone it eventually put out new leaves (I think it was mid-June by the time the new leaf shoots appeared) So I wouldn't give up on it just yet as it might survive defoliation this early in the year.
      Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

I had one i bought last january, it came in a pot as `potgrown`, it had no leaves till july and then only a few that fell off,it then flowered in august and has been fine since, no leaves till jully though last year so it can happen, this year its now got leaves/fruit on it
        Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Vine weevils in the pot?

Over-watering?
          Last edited by Two_Sheds; 14-05-2009, 06:37 AM.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Erhm, I think I have fed it but I can't remember what with. I think it was a general feed. Vine weevils hmm maybe I will have to pull it out of its pot and inspect I have had plants killed by these nasty little critters before. Its blowin a gale outside but weirdly enough really sunny. I will do some closer inspection. I will be gutted if it is dead tho

Comment

Ok Ive had a good look and I can't see anything wrong with it. There are plenty of roots both fat and thin, no sign of any bugs. Just crispy leaf sproutings. Oh dear. I may just leave it in the hope that a miracle happens. Thanks for your help folks.

Comment

I have an apricot that is in the same boat. Bought last spring had a normal year last year but absolutly nothing this year, no leaves no sign of growth. Will leave it another month before I contact the supplier.

Ian

Comment

Just a thought (a bit of a stab in the dark, really)....

Some plants need a certain number of cold days, before they believe that winter is over (for example, to grow normally, many British apples require about 1000 hours below 7'C).
                  Have the plants been too sheltered this last winter?

On the other hand....

If the plants were in small pots and left outside all winter, did the harsh freezes kill most of the roots?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X