No announcement yet.

Not so tasty blackcurrants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackcurrants definitely need cooking or drying(or fermenting:-) ) if you are not keen on cake or bread due to heaviness, how about Brioche? with blackcurrants mixed in by rolling the dough out scatter with blackcurrants and roll back up, prove and bake!, or.... make your own blackcurrant teacakes,

1lb bread flour
    1oz sugar
    1oz butter
    pinch salt
    1 heaped tsp milk powder
    10oz warm water
    1 sachet instant yeast
    mix well to a soft dough, mix in lightly 3oz dried currants or any dried fruit (freeze dried strawberry chips, mental!!!), weigh off @ 3 1/2 oz mould round then roll out to about 3 1/2" eggwash and put in warm place to prove up to the size you want about double or a bit more for lightness, bake @180c til light brown

this dough will make brioche if you add an egg yolk to the dough and beat 2oz soft butter into it after first proof
    Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
      Your tastebuds are very definitely odd
      Add me to the odd tastebud list thern!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Ahaaaaa............I feel another breadmaker experiment coming on!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Very tasty blackcurrants

[QUOTE=ohbeary;500696]Blackcurrants definitely need cooking or drying(or fermenting:-) ) if you are not keen on cake or bread due to heaviness, how about Brioche? with blackcurrants mixed in by rolling the dough out scatter with blackcurrants and roll back up, prove and bake!, or.... make your own blackcurrant teacakes,

Your absolutely right I do like a bit of Brioche once in a while, although I usually only get it when I know I'm sharing food with others as a substitute for bread.

However as I saw a white sliced reduced to 10p last night I decided to try a summer pudding/bread pudding for lunch today, as follows.

I soaked the first layer of bread triangles in a freshly made breakfast smoothie (Blackcurrants, blackberries, porridge oats, bran and enough water to make it into a thick drink), added a layer of fresh blackcurrants and blackberries and then poured some more smoothie over. I then added another layer of bread triangles (unsoaked this time) and poured custard over the top, making little holes to allow the custard to soak down. In the oven at 170c for 30/40 minutes, checking it was piping hot in the centre.

It was yummy in terms of lovely fruit and custard/smoothie mix, but I did still find the bread a little to heavy for me. I'm looking forward to trying it cold, might not seem so heavy when cold?

It's interesting how as we get older and change our eating habits, how what was once a childhood favourite food. For me summer pudding and bread and butter pudding, that I now find bread too heavy.

Anyway now that I've accepted that blackcurrants are not sweet enough to eat straight off the bush, I'm able to enjoy them as they are, rather than what I thought they would be. Just shows how sweet everything you buy in the shops that is suppose to be blackcurrant flavoured, so I just assumed blackcurrants were sweet. That's what's great about having a lottie, you get back to tasting fruit and veg the way they are.

Comment

Remember that there is a new variety called Ebony, which I planted last Feb. From the few fruit that it produced this Summer, it is a lot more palatable than traditional varieties.

Comment

I have a BigBen blackcurrant and they are sweet and can be eaten raw.

Not like my Ben Lomond that is very tart.
              Last edited by WrexTheDragon; 21-07-2009, 08:14 PM.

Comment

I have a Ben Ample blackcurrant, and I love the tartness of blackcurrants straight off the bush, I never add sugar.
                Forbidden Fruits make many Jams.

Comment

Got 3 Ebony bushes from Marshall's (special offer) and the few first year fruit are superb straight off the bush, nice and sweet and up to 1cm diameter. Care was taken only to pick ripe ones which seem to hold very well on the plant, strangely birds have shown no interest in them - they must be waiting for the figs to ripen again!!!!
                  Family motto "semper in excretum"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X