new to fruit.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to fruit.

Having splurged out a considerable sum this year on apple cordons,raspberries and strawberry plant some questions still remain . the apples i have are red ellison,sunset,discovery and james greive some are tip bearers and others are spur bearers. where are the tip beares pruned.
    regarding the strawberries i have some runners potted for planting but when do i plant them out?

Prune all the cordons in winter (Dec-Feb) until the desired size and shape is obtained, then switch to mid-summer (July) pruning to encourage fruit bud formation and to maintain them in their allocated space. Don't worry about the partial-tip-bearing of the Discovery - it also forms some spurs.
    Winter pruning will remove some of the tip-buds that might bear fruit the following season, but if you don't prune to shape them in winter, they will not grow into the correct shapes for good cropping in their peak years (age 5-15).
    The temptation is to try to fruit young trees to the maximum. However, they often drop a lot of fruit before it ripens properly, which is a waste of energy that would have been better directed into establishing strong root systems and a good branch structure.

Comment

Ooops.. the strawberry runners....

I leave mine attached to the parent plant until about September.

If they're last years runners, plant them before the weather cools in the autumn, to harden-off.
      My strawberries live outdoors all year round with no protection from frost or wind. The runners are hardy if not kept in a greenhouse or conservatory. I had about 80-90% survival rate for last years runners - and that included all of the runners; some runners that were little more than one leaf and a single pink root, but they survived a hard winter with no problems.
      Last edited by FB.; 24-07-2009, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I plant my runners out as soon as I think they are big enough to survive on their own. They then get started to make it through the winter - my neighbour disagrees and I get told off everytime that he sees me do it!
        Karen

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool
        Even a journey of a thousand miles must begin with a single step!

Comment

strawberry runners

Thanks FB and Sprocket. I did some last year and brought them in to force them ,then discarded them. Do i plant out this years runners this year or leave them to overwinter in their pots to plant out in the spring next year?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X