Blueberry Bush

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberry Bush

My blueberry bush that I ordered from Dobies has arrived. Unfortunately the leaves have fallen off in transit and the few I have left are a mixture of green/yellow. Does anyone know if it should look like this? Did'nt want to complain and then they say thats how they are meant to be!! Thanks

hi jof,my blueberries in pots in the garden have now lost most of their leaves ,those left are green/red ,so it sounds like yours are ok ,get it planted remembering soil requirements ,thats why mine are in pots ground is totally unsuitable,apparently they are affected very little by way of bugs etc.

Comment

Thanks for that. I am going to keep mine in a pot anyway I think, I also seem to remember it needs ericaceous peat (sorry about spelling), is that right?

Comment

Hi, yes my blueberries have dropped most of their leaves now, just one or two pretty yellow/pink ones left, it's perfectly normal, don't worry they'll burst into life in the spring.
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

All of mine have gone a beautiful red colour, however the one that gets the most wind has dropped almost all it's leaves .

Comment

You are quite right that blueberries need acidic compost to thrive. They should be okay even though they have lost their leaves so long as you get them planted soon.

Comment

I am looking into getting one at the moment but I have read that you need two of different varieties if they are to do well.

Comment

I am building up my stock of blueberry plants- I now have five varieties - three of which arrived last week, Jersey, Bluecrop and Goldtraube. I have fogotten what the original two were called. They are now pretty much leafless- the foliage goes a spectacular red colour before dropping. I wouldn't worry.

I took some cuttings from my other two blueberies in October and they seem to have rooted well so I may get myself a blueberry hedge at some point....

Comment

Blueberrry advice

Hope some of you can help me.

Last spring I bought two blueberry bushes (Patriot & Bluecrop) & both gave reasonable crops. However, the fruit when ripe & starting to drop, was excellent looking outside but inside was a green flesh & tasted of nothing much (in both bushes!).

I've a feeling part of the problem was that I transplanted them into a size bigger pot after purchase & used multipurpose compost.
                  I fed them regularly & they are in a sheltered sunny spot.

I have pruned them back & would like to know what to do to get a good crop & keep them healthy.

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Blueberry prefer acid soil, ericaceous, and won't like multipurpose - it won't kill them and I suggest that you try and repot it. They drop fruit when they don't get enough water (only rainwater), and/or the root system isn't fully developed. I wouldn't worry, they are still young and won't crop heavy until their third year.
                    Best wishes
                    Andrewo
                    Harbinger of Rhubarb tales

Comment

blueberry bush

Thanks for that advice Andrew, I'll get a water butt fitted over the winter & try re-potting in acid soil.
                      Any particular time good for re-potting?

Is it harmful to over water them?
                      Last edited by andrewmac; 13-12-2006, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Around November to late January is best in this area, depends on how cold it gets where you are. You need to water them, this is the great thing about having them in pots, leave a 2 inch gap between rim and soil level and when you water them fill to the pot ridge - good marker. You can test if it needs watering by tapping it with a cane, you will tell the difference between dry and watered by sound or even touch.
                        Best wishes
                        Andrewo

Comment

Andrewo that is an excellent tip. Tapping the pots with a cane. You should post it in Top Tips.
                          [

Comment

Will do, have done, it's all there now, thanks Lesley.
                            Best wishes
                            Andrewo

Comment

Again, thanks for the info Andrew, I'll re-pot them over the next few days if it stays mild enough (in N. Ireland).

Andrew

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X