Victoria plum in a pot or not?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria plum in a pot or not?

Enthused with my recent addition of a Sunset self fertile apple in a pot I now fancy a self fertile Victoria plum.

It would be bare rooted, as the apple was, but are they grafted onto a dwarfing rootstock and are they suitable for a large pot (how large?)

And Nick........... please don't answer with yes,yes & big!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Oops! Sorry LJ .....I've stuck it in the wrong section by mistake...........go on, you know you love using your editing button!!!!!!!!
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

There you go Snadger. Just where it belongs!
      [

Comment

You must have been having a cup of tea there...it took all of 5 mins for you to change it!!! Cheers anyway!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oh dear! Just looked 27 minutes...... Nice to see you're on the ball tho!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadgar, i have a Victoria in a pot for the last 4 years. It is in a south facing sheltered corner. Its the size of a half barrell (the tub, not the tree) Have had a good crop from it every year so far. I usually scrape away the top few inches of soil in the spring and top up with fresh soil and throw a few handfuls of fruit fertisiler on it. Otherwise i have had no problems yet.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Yes Yes & very big
              ntg
              Never be afraid to try something new.
              Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
              A large group of professionals built the Titanic
              ==================================================

Comment

Seriously,

I think that Pixie is the really dwarfing jobby (or is that Bonsai ) so that would be the best suited I guess. Plums are really vigourous trees (almost verging on twitch & mares tail standard) so this would be a good way of keeping them in check I would think. If your not careful you get a lovely shaped tree with loads of leaves & nil plom so miss quote eurovision

Any road up (good album that was - Steve Gibbons Band about 1986 ... sorry I digress) have a look here as they have a bit on fruit training etc that may be of some interest

http://readsnursery.co.uk/culturalAdvice/Plum_trees.htm
                ntg

Comment

Originally posted by bramble View Post
                  Snadgar, i have a Victoria in a pot for the last 4 years. It is in a south facing sheltered corner. Its the size of a half barrell (the tub, not the tree) Have had a good crop from it every year so far. I usually scrape away the top few inches of soil in the spring and top up with fresh soil and throw a few handfuls of fruit fertisiler on it. Otherwise i have had no problems yet.
                  Thanks bramble thats just what I wanted to hear!
                  My mind is now made up, I'll go and get it tomorrow (they better not be sold out)

So you think I may even get fruit next summer? Hope so!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                    Seriously,

I think that Pixie is the really dwarfing jobby (or is that Bonsai ) so that would be the best suited I guess. Plums are really vigourous trees (almost verging on twitch & mares tail standard) so this would be a good way of keeping them in check I would think. If your not careful you get a lovely shaped tree with loads of leaves & nil plom so miss quote eurovision

Any road up (good album that was - Steve Gibbons Band about 1986 ... sorry I digress) have a look here as they have a bit on fruit training etc that may be of some interest

http://readsnursery.co.uk/culturalAdvice/Plum_trees.htm
                    Will putting it in a confined space ie a pot, not tend to dwarf it a bit anyway?

The label I got with the apple tree I bought from the same place had no details about dwarfing stock. I suppose if I can see a graft at the base, any rootstock is better than none?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

it will till it splits the pot & roots in the ground snadger Where did you get it from?
                      ntg

Comment

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
                        it will till it splits the pot & roots in the ground snadger Where did you get it from?
                        Homebase DIY! Don't laugh, its the only place that had reasonably priced bare rooted trees locally! £9.99 they are but not much info on the label!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

No not laughing Snadger. Its just that someone up our lottie was thinking of planting a couple of trees & didn't know where to get them from. £9.99 I may be tempted myself & stick them in at home & train them agains the fence as Cordons/Espaliers
                          ntg

Comment

Snadger,

If you are ever this way call in.....

Take A694 toward Consett, Just as you enter Rowlands Gill there is a small white sign on the grass verge to your right for a garden centre. It is up a single track road and leads to a farmhouse / market garden place. They dont keep a fantastic range so ones errand is maybe not worth it but they do stock fruit. eg raspberry canes pulled straight from the ground etc. Sorry cant remember its name!
                            Geordie

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure

Comment

Originally posted by Geordie View Post
                              Snadger,

If you are ever this way call in.....

Take A694 toward Consett, Just as you enter Rowlands Gill there is a small white sign on the grass verge to your right for a garden centre. It is up a single track road and leads to a farmhouse / market garden place. They dont keep a fantastic range so ones errand is maybe not worth it but they do stock fruit. eg raspberry canes pulled straight from the ground etc. Sorry cant remember its name!
                              Cheers Geordie, often through that way so I may give it a try!
                              Funnily enough there must be a stable near by as I've seen horse muck for free advertised in that area! Could kill two birds with one stone!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X