Safe to eat rhubarb?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe to eat rhubarb?

I have had a good crop of rhubarb earlier in the year and pulled off all the tatty bits to tidy it up.
    It has regrown and I now have what looks to be a very healthy looking crop of rhubarb again!

I'm slightly worried about picking it though because i've heard that after July the oxalic acid in the leaves starts travelling back to the roots?

What do you think................I could stil harvest half of it and leave loads to die back but unsure whether to or not?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Never heard of that one Snadger. I thought the only reason for leaving it alone during the latter part of the year was so that you didn't exhaust the plant.

Comment

Originally posted by rustylady View Post
      Never heard of that one Snadger. I thought the only reason for leaving it alone during the latter part of the year was so that you didn't exhaust the plant.
      I'm going to 'pick a stick' this evening..................if it tastes alright, sod the OA!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Never heard about the oxalic acid.

I find that after mid June, they get a bit stringy and tough.

Comment

I think it does get more acidic as the season wears on - but it also tastes better! It might just take the enamel off your teeth though!
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I have a lovely crop on my Glaskin's Perpetual. I am tempted to cut some for a crumble but I have lost the label from the plant which said when you could crop it till
            Happy Gardening,
            Shirley

Comment

I usually crop till early August. Seems a shame not to. But I leave it alone later on as the stalks tend to go a bit brownish and weepy later on.

Comment

They do seem to vary hugely, and I've lost the label on mine but early in the season when everyone else seemed to have huge clumps of the stuff mine was small and weedy but when we hit July it looked like it ought to do - just when I thought you should be giving it a rest - so I picked it and then back it came and I picked another lot.
                Very nice but I was raring for an early season rhubarb crop...but it still tastes fine and it will stay in the freezer so broad as its long.

Sue

Comment

I just ease off cutting so that the plant doesn't get tired, never heard of any other reason. If you fancy a pie then have one.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                    ...................If you fancy a pie then have one.
                    Who ate all the pies?......It was me!!!!!.

Picked about 10 Kilo of tasty rhubarb today (ate one stick there and then without any sugar...yum!) to make sure it was ok!

Now just got to figure out what to do with it!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

i've never heard of the OA thing either - picked a few sticks yesterday - loads more to pull and freeze for crumbles through the winter
                      http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

It makes good jellies, chutneys, jams. What's NOT to do with it?

Comment

I had to tidy up my rhubarb-around early June against the advice(it should be done about November)I dug it up and split some bits as they were crowded and smallish.Now I have more decent size plants than earlier.Not pulling any(no more rhubarb crumble this year)as I want the plants to grow stronger.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X