Blueberry advice please

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberry advice please

I have 2 blueberry bushes in large pots that I intend to move into a raised bed on my allotment.
    I plan to fill the bed with ericaceous compost, but it will sit on quite free-draining soil.
    I believe that blueberries like to be in fairly wet conditions.

Would it be a good idea to lay down a sheet of plastic (eg openned out compost bags) or a sheet of semi-permeable weed supressant material below the compost to reduce the drainage?

Check out this Gardener's World video on growing blueberries and cranberries in a raised bed.
    They suggest digging it out and putting a plastic sheet in the bottom with holes in it to help retain the water.

Growing blueberries and cranberries video project | How to | Projects | BBC Gardeners' World
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

When I made a small bog garden area I just used old compost bags and spiked a few holes in them - it did the trick and would only dry out in a prolonged dry spell (which last happened in the summer of 2006)

Comment

Raised beds seem to dry faster, so I think that you'll need to impair the drainage by using some kind of liner in the bed, to trap the water - as mentioned above.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, folks. All very helpful.

This is such a good forum - just love it ;o)

Comment

Great video and really helpful. However, I have another question!

Just bought 3 blueberry bushes from T&M and they are only about 4-5 inches tall. Do you think they are too small to leave out to the elements (ie winter)? Should i just keep them in pots until they are bigger and bring them into the GH in the winter?

Thanks

Comment

oh, p-l-e-e-z-e can one of you wise guru types maybe give me the benefit of your advice -u-l-e-e-z-e....

Comment

I would definitely bring them into a sheltered area for the winter as they aren't very big. I have just got a fig and aronia and they will be over wintered in a cold greenhouse. Better to be safe than sorry. I lost an almond and two plum trees last winter due to pots freezing.

Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian, that was what I thought but I just wanted to check incase it was a s-t-o-o-p-i-d idea! Been known to have a few of them in my time!

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                    Just bought 3 blueberry bushes from T&M and they are only about 4-5 inches tall.
                    Thanks
                    Very small in size, sounds like they could be cuttings from this year?

I agree that these should be treated with care for the next few years until established.

Good luck.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X