Aldi plum tree - not Victoria

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
    I quite agree. The reason that Victoria became popular is that it is multi-purpose. Eating, cooking, preserving etc. But I don't think it excels at any.
    I agree as well, the victoria is ok, and we think the home grown are better then the shops, but opal plum is a better one in my opinion, tastes better, less prone to silverleaf and other things, bigger fruit, sweeter fruit, better tasting fruit and more of it ( same supplier , same age trees higher crop on opal) and it flowers later giving less chance of frost damage
    Last edited by starloc; 12-09-2009, 05:48 PM.
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Originally posted by muckdiva View Post
      How interesting. I bought an Aldi 'Victoria' plum at about the same time, and guess what - I have an apple tree instead. Deep red apples - they almost look ornamental. Will let you know what they taste like when they're ready!
      It's not just Aldi. I bought a cherry at Wilko's for a fiver. It is now producing very nice pears.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

*Crosses fingers and hopes my 2 cheap Cherry trees are actually Pears/Apples*

Comment

I bought a "Conference Pear" from Aldi...it's now produced a very pale yellow Pear (just the one this year!!) so don't think it's a Conference?
          Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
          Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Pale yellow, early-ripening, widely available pear = Williams?

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
              Probably FB. That's what my Wilko 'Cherry' is and I think that most of these cheap offers come from the same wholesaler.
              Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
              >
              >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

had the same problem an opal and a victoria, the victoia is identical to the opal, same colour, size ,ripening time, last week, same growth habit, the apples tend to be the worst labeled from stores like aldi,
                stew

Comment

I'm sorry, but these cheapo/crappo fruit trees from Aldi/Lidl/Netto are 'lost labels' insofar as you are going to get 'something'. It will not necessarily be the variety on the label.

Even at £2.99 they are a total waste of money.

valmarg

Comment

Originally posted by FB. View Post
                    Ooh, I'd quite like it to be a Williams! Thanks for that.
                    Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                    Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

Wrong plum from Aldi

Originally posted by dipseydiva View Post
                      Hi, 18 months ago I bought 2 Victoria plum trees from Aldi, they have both grown well and the one tree has born fruit. However the fruit is not that of a Victoria plum, the tree must have been put in the wrong packet. The plums are very large, egg shaped and a deep purple colour. What I wondered was if anyone else bought one of these mis-named plums or if anyone could hazard a guess as to what the variety might be.
                      Yes I had same problem , purple plum instead of Victorie, but it is good flavour and ripens earlier so quite happy. Seems to be on Pixie rootstock which is even better

Comment

Old thread.. But could it be Opal. The lidl ones were so a stab in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum mobile app

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X