Raspberry help???

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry help???

My friend was given some raspberry canes earlier this year and is now wondering what to do with them. She also bought some from Lidl, but no longer has the labels.

They were all nowt but twigs when she planted them. At least some of them (and the two possibly different, possibly not, varieties have been mixed up) fruited this year. Would that make them Autumn fruiting varieties and they should be cut right back to twigs now? What about the others?

Any advice gratefully received

Caro
    Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

If they are autumn fruiting, you cut back at end of winter, not beginning
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I've just been out and collected enough rasps off my Autumn fruiters (Polka) to give us raspberries and cream after dinner tonight, and there are more to come. If yours have stopped fruiting and are dying off then they are summer fruiters and want cutting back now.
      Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
      >
      >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

We've managed to find out they're the type where the fruits come on last year's canes (summer fruiting?). Therefore, no harsh pruning, and as they're new this year, I don't think they need any pruning at all - they're not huge and rambling or anything.

If I'm wrong, please contradict me!

Thanks

Caro
        Caro

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day

Comment

Not wrong.

>

Comment

Sorry to hijack but can I grow old raspberries in pots? I have let the chooks have the raspberry garden and thought I might try to save a few in pots.

Comment

My own opinion (I'm very 'umble ) is that raspberries don't grow well in pots. I am sure someone will come on and say they have been growing them in pots for 25 years with no problems. But although I normally espouse (that's a good word) pot growing and say you can grow anything in pots as long as the pot is large enough (never tried it with an oak tree ) I really don't think rasps, who love to send out runners and are not deep rooted but like to spread out, are suited to confined growing. But I seem to rememember someone on here who has done it up tripods. That's one of the things about gardening, you can try anything, and often get away with it.

>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X