Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Damson and Greengage

Hi there,
    I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer some sage advice on these two trees.

As you may have guessed I am relatively new to growing my own etc.
    Anyway to cut a long story short, I have ordered several fruit trees, one to plant in the garden (the damson, which is a shropshire) and the other one for a pot (greengage). I was adviced to buy both on pixy rootstock as this is dwarfing and neither tree would get too big.

I have prepared the ground by digging over and didnt know whether to add fish and bone as I have been told that it might burn the roots. I also have a bag of John Innes No2 to add to the soil and maybe some sharp sand. Regarding the stake, I have read that it needs to go at an angle, would anyone be able to advice on this?

Another question, both varieties are self pollanating but will they also pollanate each other?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hi Northepaul.

If you have bougt dwarf trees don't bother staking them at all. Not necessary.

Just use a general fertiliser like Growmore and sharp sand is only necessary if your soil is clay. Certainly for the pot one just use a good compost, JI is fine or even a cheap potting compost, and feed it regularly. The one in the ground will need little attention.

Can't honestly remember if my Goldengage (I have a golden one not a green one) and damson help each other in the pollination dept. Don't think it really matters, they certainly won't produce crossed fruit and I don't plan to grow any from seed.
    Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
    >
    >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

It's my understanding that they should be staked throughout their life if on a dwarfing rootstock and for the first few years if they are on a more vigorous one. This will prevent the roots rocking and allow them to get established. Just checked one of the supplier websites and they say trees on a pixy rootstock will always require firm staking.

Comment

Originally posted by solway cropper View Post
        It's my understanding that they should be staked throughout their life if on a dwarfing rootstock and for the first few years if they are on a more vigorous one. This will prevent the roots rocking and allow them to get established. Just checked one of the supplier websites and they say trees on a pixy rootstock will always require firm staking.
        I go for the RHS advice. I'm a bit paranoid about suppliers advice. They always cover their asses.

Royal Horticultural Society | Advice Search | Trees: staking

Although the RHS does recommend staking dwarf apples (but plums are pretty deep rooting.)
        Why didn't Noah just swat those 2 greenflies?

Why are they called apartments when they are all stuck together?
        >
        >If flying is so safe, why do they call the airport the terminal?

Comment

Talking about damson I want a small one for a container. I have googled and was presented with quite a selection. Is it best to stick to local growers so that the baby tree will still feel at home so to speak or don't they mind travelling. Can you get 2 year olds on pixie or julian root stock.

Comment

Hi Brengirl
            Shropshire Damson's are smaller anyway, so might be worth looking for that one. I have ordered mine from Chris Bowers: Fruit Bushes, Trees, Plants, Nursery | Grow Your Own | Soft Fruit | Blurberry Bushes
            I dont think they are the cheapest but have a good reputation for quality of trees. ( I will reserve judgement until I get mine!!)
            You need a BIG container and good compost.

Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by sarraceniac View Post
              I go for the RHS advice. I'm a bit paranoid about suppliers advice. They always cover their asses.

Royal Horticultural Society | Advice Search | Trees: staking

Although the RHS does recommend staking dwarf apples (but plums are pretty deep rooting.)

Thanks for the link Sarraceniac - its really useful

Comment

i have a greast big greengage that my mum grew form cutting 15 years ago, it produces a bundle of crops every year and is quite dependable. However the greengage fruit is hard to tell when rip[e and not ripe and is quite succesptable to canker so i am cutting down infected leaves just as we speak
                Dont judge a plant by it's pot.

Comment

Update:

I have the gage now, all potted and looking pretty, (well actually it looks like a stick stuck in a pot )
                  Still waiting for the damson to arrive.....although the ground is very wet, so probably just as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X