growing plums from stone

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by taff View Post
    I did that with a peach stone about 3/ years ago. All I can say is don't bother, if you want a peach tree, go and buy a peach tree, because if it's anything like mine, the fruits are fused and drop off at 5mm size. Dont get me wrong, when it's the first thing to blossom in the garden, it's really pretty, but I'll never get viable fruit from it.
    A stone planted 3 years ago would not be expected to bear fruit at this stage. If you like the flowers then by all means allow it to flower, otherwise just nip them off to stimulate root and vegetative growth. If you really like the flowers and want to keep them then take off any fruit as it forms to conserve the plant's reserves. Make sure you prune it correctly and give it sufficient nutrients. In two years time, allow it to fruit but remove at least half the fruit as it develops ( leaving only a sparse covering of fruit which will grow much larger than 5mm). Obviously, you need this tree in full sunlight , especially to ripen fruits, and ensure it does not get too much or too little water. I reckon you have a good tree there which will be prolific so long as the root and conditions are able to support it. You might also think about introducing a mycorrhizal fungus around the roots to give it a boost and ensure there are no plants around the base which compete for water and/or nutrients.
    PS. You might want to try pollinating with a different variety of peach tree if this does not work as sometimes plants are very poor self fertlisers (if at all). Sorry about the numerous edits but there is always something else to consider. I hope you have success and that this has been of some help.
    PPS. Do not prune your root system unless it is diseased, unbalanced or girdling. A tree will not produce a profligate root system, although they can be profligate fruiters given half a chance.
    PPPS. My daughter, upon reading this, says I come across as a real smart ar*e. Sorry about that but I am what I am but I have had so much help myself in the past that I just want to pass some of it on.
    Last edited by TheRealTrojanGoat; 09-11-2011, 08:50 PM. Reason: I am a smarty pants

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
    Working...
    X