Strawberry Seeds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry Seeds

I have two packets of Sarian Strawberry seeds which I got from a seed sale which need to be sown in January.

Has anyone sown strawberry seeds in the propagator at this time of year and did you have a good success rate?

I did ok with the alpine strawberries which were sown in the autumn they are in the greenhouse. But never tried strawberries from seed.

Any tips ........ off to get the propagator.

Many Thanks.
    http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

i grew them from seed and they grew well. i didnt start them off in a propogator and started them later. they took a while to germinate so a propgator might help - though they need light i think once they've germinated. - you've got the seeds so nothing to lose i guess

Comment

I grew some last year in the Propagator, mid January. As far as I remember germination was good and fairly quick, but they do remain small looking plants for quite a while. I planted mine into hanging baskets and they started croping mid-late summer. Lovely flavour and yummy sweet, no real problems found, happy with them.
      Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

I've grown alpine strawberries from a January sowing with good results, so don't see why you shouldn't be able to grow ordinary strawberries from a January sowing.

Ian

Comment

I forgot to sow mine last year(this year???)...the packet has been sat on my shelf ready to be remembered this time.I'll probably be sowing them sometime in the first half of January.
          the fates lead him who will;him who won't they drag.

Happiness is not having what you want,but wanting what you have.xx

Comment

Have grown Alpine berries two or three times and always started them off in a propagator. As someone on here said, they stay very small for a good while.
            I got quite a good yield from them but they were very small so decided not to bother with them. Just my opinion, others on here might feel totally different about them.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
              i grew them from seed and they grew well. i didnt start them off in a propogator and started them later. they took a while to germinate so a propgator might help - though they need light i think once they've germinated. - you've got the seeds so nothing to lose i guess
              This is the way I did it also!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I think I will give them a go in mid jan. I already have the alpine strawberries they are in the greenhouse and yep are still small. Just wanted to sow something ....
                http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

I grew Florian last year from seed. Sowed in Feb indoors and no problems with germination. Very slow growing-on in greenhouse and eventually potted into final position. Fruited well up to late November with cloche protection and hope to have them survive into next year. Sweet fruit and turned out to be a perpetual flowering type. Worth the effort.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X