No announcement yet.

Which will survive?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 2 of my citrus outside as i did last year (but they are very old large trees) , it was -15 C during the week, one set of low power christmas lights on them this year ( a lot of them last year, i think about 3 or 4 sets ) ,
    the lemons are fine at the minute i have well over 100 just ripened up over the last few weeks , some of last years lemons are still there as well , a few leaves fell off in december thats it (they fell with the leaf petiole so its just old leaves not `unhappy` leaf drop) , decembers flowers are growing into small fruit ,
    inside the frost fleece its about 3-5deg C warmer due to the lights, theres some snow on the compost in the pot for the last week or so ( the frost fleece gave way! )
    You can tell normaly if there not happy the leaves go into the unhappy position folding flatter to the branches , the lemons go soft (like it needs watering) i dont think there will be a problem this year, its just ice on the leaves with lemon trees kills off the bit above the graft
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

I moved my 2 container fruit trees (a gage and an apple) along the side of the house where its slightly sheltered. I had just planted a shopshire damson (Dec) in the garden, but its quite near the fence and the area although covered in snow, is quite sheltered. I have two big blueberries in pots, which I couldnt move, so put a layer of fleece around the pot to protect the root. I had also just planted a gooseberry in the garden which I covered with fleece...I moved my strawbs around by the trees (I am replanting them this spring) although some of them look a bit dead, its not the end of the world to replace them but fingers x.

Might be worth moving your container trees near the house in some shelter if they are newly planted? Just an idea

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X